• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what single or dual tube amp i should have built?????

excavator701

May 23, 2005
this is to all the pro,s out here i am looking to get something built in the 3 to 5k range but i want something thats going to be loud but clean most of all!!! what kind of tubes would you recommend and who is the bestto build me something like this!!!?????

How much cash you willing to spend? If you want a clean but powerful amp then check out this Henry on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Henry-3K-premie...ryZ48700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...or maybe an Alpha 2K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-89A-Linea...ryZ48700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you have your heart set on a really big amp then maybe someone can hook you up with Prime Minister. There are many people who build amps but i dont think that many of them are concerned about building a clean amps. That is why you may want to look to one of the bigger ham amps because they are meant to be very clean!

excavator701 said:
this is to all the pro,s out here i am looking to get something built in the 3 to 5k range but i want something thats going to be loud but clean most of all!!! what kind of tubes would you recommend and who is the bestto build me something like this!!!?????
Go to www.wizardbuilt.com I think a 3cx3000 box built by him would be perfect for you.

wizard

Wizard builds junk.He doesnt use a real socket for his 3cx3000 tube amps the cabinet is flimsy no vac relays filament transformer is next to the tube with no sheild.And most important he doesnt resonate the tank coil so his boxes dont run efficent so you end up wasting alot of power in heat in the tank coil because its not right and the box ends up swinging backwards on the rms scale.wizard is a joke he hold only a tech ham licence he cant even figure out how to convert ac to dc properly on paper.He uses the cheapest parts to make as big of a profit as possible he also uses 3cx3000 china tubes.He takes advantage of people who dont know anything.If you want a box that needs constant repair and that swings backwards call ralph aka wizard.Heres a box i made has a eimac tube a real socket vac variables even one for the input and a bias circuit soft start vac relays plus much more for less money. henry 3000d 3cx3000a7 ham amplifier - eBay (item 140431141543 end time Aug-22-10 13:13:58 PDT)

In wizards you tube videos he always uses a bird 43p thats because his boxes wont hold what they key or swing foward they are junk..
No one in ct dares to run a peak kit if anyone talked about peak power they would be laughed off the radio.

Try a Wizard. Just do your research on the features you want and tell him. I have been running Wizard Product for over a year with no real complaints.

http://www.xforceamps.com/category/Ac-boxes-30

Last edited:
Yes, do your research on Wizard. Search Wizard in this forum and make note of the countless mistakes others have pointed out in his builds just from viewing the pictures of the insides of his amps. Then do a Goggle search on the many things we say are missing or done wrong so you know what to look for. Last step is look at the pictures yourself. Now you are an educated consumer that doesn't have to buy something to try it without knowing what you're buying.

Wizard amps do work. Unfortunately one can't simply say if works it must be right, otherwise it wouldn't work. It's not black and white. There is lots of gray area in between and Wizard amps are very gray. The mistakes being made with no features led me to believe he would be unable to add any features that would help significantly.

For $3,500 the Henry RF generator correctly modified for the desired band is a much better choice of 3CX3000A7 amplifier. Consider just this one fact, everything from the 220 power cord to the RF output connector on these Henry units has been rated for 100% continuous duty cycle. I'd put money on the Wizard failing within 5 minuets of trying to sustain a 4 KW carrier.

How much cash you willing to spend? If you want a clean but powerful amp then check out this Henry on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Henry-3K-premie...ryZ48700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...or maybe an Alpha 2K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-89A-Linea...ryZ48700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you have your heart set on a really big amp then maybe someone can hook you up with Prime Minister. There are many people who build amps but i dont think that many of them are concerned about building a clean amps. That is why you may want to look to one of the bigger ham amps because they are meant to be very clean!

Such a very amazing link!

"I have been running Wizard Product for over a year with no real complaints."

Uh oh, that means that there are things to complain about, doesn't it? Anything can be 'good enough' if you lower your standards far enough. That's a 'tacky' idea, isn't it? Unfortunately it's also true.
- 'Doc

"I have been running Wizard Product for over a year with no real complaints."

Uh oh, that means that there are things to complain about, doesn't it? Anything can be 'good enough' if you lower your standards far enough. That's a 'tacky' idea, isn't it? Unfortunately it's also true.
- 'Doc
Ok. Let me re-phrase that. I have no complaints about my Wizard 3cx3000 amplifier or my Wizard built GI 46b amplifier.... They run great and sound great on the receiving end. I get alot of flowers from receiving stations. No problems getting my name called in DX land or on the Super Bowl either. A Yaesu 101E + Wizard Built + 6 element Quad on a 60' Tower = One hell of a station to deal with!!

I would lean towards the Henry amps personally....They are built like a tank...and the quality is really there.

Henry has been around for many years..I am sure there are Henry amps that are 30+ years old out there still putting out the power

Most amps that are made for 11 meter use are being pushed so hard they wont live to long,if you are lucky you might get 2 to 5 years out of them if you are careful...since amps on 11 meter are illegal almost anyone with a soldering gun and a handfull of parts builds amps ....( there is no set standared for quality assurance for 11 meter amps as with amateur radio amps)

To me personally quality outweighs quanity any day.

With companies such as Henry you know what you are getting is a high quality product....Guys such as ones mentioned above other than Henry the quality you are getting is in question

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.