• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats the best ALL-Band Tranceiver for $500-$600 New?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Looking to buy an all-band transceiver for about $500-$600.

I dont know much about these type of radios so whats THE best in your opinion?

T23

I just don't think there are any -new- transceivers, all band or not, in that price range. So, the answer is none?
- 'Doc

Looking to buy an all-band transceiver for about $500-$600.

I dont know much about these type of radios
so whats THE best in your opinion?

T23

Ten different people will give you nine different answers. :whistle:

The best for what? Base station with built in power supply or mobile type with external heavy duty power supply? Options? Operability? Bang for the buck? Weak signal performance? Strong signal handling? Rarely is one radio the best at more than one or two of those and more.

The FT-857D is good as is the IC-706 series and the new IC-7000. I hear the Icom IC-718 is a good little radio. None of these radios is available for only 500-600 new BTW.

I am looking for a base station but a decent mobile with a power supply would do great aswell, it dont have to be new, I am leaning towards Icom but all input is great just the same. I am just looking for something that will do FM ,AM, and SSB that dont feel like a hunk of plastic.:eek:

T23

I am looking for a base station but a decent mobile with a power supply would do great aswell, it dont have to be new, I am leaning towards Icom but all input is great just the same. I am just looking for something that will do FM ,AM, and SSB that dont feel like a hunk of plastic.:eek:

T23

So, you want tube gear do you? :LOL: Oops, that won't get you FM though. Tough call to find a radio without that "plastic" feel. Even the FT-857 with a metal case but plastic faceplate is kinda "plasticy". Most rigs today just have that cheap feel compared to the radios made 25-30 years ago. I guarantee there is nothing "plastic" about a TS-820 or an FT-101. (y)

I had a FT-101B but it blew up the first time I plugged it up...Lost a laptop ( a Panasonic Toughbook ) on that deal..:laugh:

Now that was not plastic...:LOL:
T23.

I would see if you can save up just a bit more cash to get something a little newer than what you will be able to purchase in that price range. These rigs that you're asking about aren't cheap, but they WILL last a long time. Something to think about...

Sometimes new is not always better. All the rigs in my shack are pre-owned. I understand that you need to be careful when buying used, but just like a car, I rarely buy them new, I let others take the $$$ pounding for that new car smell. That being the case, for a small HF rig I went with a one owner Yaesu FT-100D. Even my FT-2000 and FT-1000MP are both one prior owner rigs, and I've not had a lick of problems with any of them.

+1 on the Yaesu's (if you can find them in that price range), otherwise a used Icom IC-706MKIIG, or an IC-718, or a Yaesu FT-450 should all fall close to that price range. Also (possibly) a used Kenwood TS-570 if u can find one.

Prices on QRZ.com seem to be better than eBay. Seems like ppl on eBay get into 'feeding frenzy's' and jack up the prices.

Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,