• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where Do You DX These Days, 11 Meters

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
For all of the past solar peaks since the cycle in the mid 70's, 27.555U has been used as a main DX calling frequency for the upper's above ch40. And this was for continental DX, not just international. And 26.185U was the calling freq. for below ch1.

Last cycle, there were a handful of well publicized busts on ops in the lower 26's, and activity there seemed to die and die fast. I guess we "let" the feds win that one
t5.gif

With this year's openings so far, I am far and away hearing the most DX usage on 38Lower. Almost never hear anything on 27.555U.

I hear activity around other places like 27.505, .475, .425 ect....but it's not heavy.

Not sure what's up with this. Most ops staying in band. So where have you been operating?

interview.gif

My recollection is that the calling frequency "downstairs" was 26.285, not 185. I used to catch lots of Aussies and Kiwis down there, as well as Europe and Canada.

I agree that that area seems less popular than it was in the late 80's and early 90's.

I still hear quite a bit on 27.555, when the band is open.

Overall, the "freeband" experience seems quite a bit different than when I first got up there. Maybe just too many export/10 meter radios available on the net. I seem to hear alot more state to state contacts than international DX. So many intra-USA QSOs going on, it is hard to listen up for Europe or Australia.

Made a few contacts last night on 11,26,28,30,and 33. For some reason i couldnt get out on 38lsb... Skip was sure rolling last night around here. Bout every channel had someone talking... But i agree people are jamming up 38 LSB,,, Ppl keying on others just makes it hard to understand... i can understand on AM but i thought LSB was a lil calmer... Im not saying but im sayin... :D

It's the same deal on 27.555---nobody has the courtesy to QSY after contact anymore. Used to be people would include a QSY frequency as part of their CQ call i.e. "CQ CQ this is NA-821 calling British Isles please QSY to 27.570 for contact."

*Sigh* things change. I suppose it's weird to be wistful about the "good old days" on an illegal band, but there it is.

anyone want to hazard a guess as to why nobody QSY's anymore when they make a contact on 38lsb, or 27.555?

i have a few guesses; what do you guys think?

1. they are newbies, and/or get nervous when someone actually answers their "CQ"

2. they are not interested in having an actual conversation with anyone, they just want to write down a bunch of stations in their log book.

3. they just dont have anything good to say. LOL

i have to say i lean towards #1 more.
i am surprised at how many people get into radio that dont have any conversational skills. LOL

hope i dont offend anyone; thats not my intention.
just calling 'em like i see 'em.
later,
LC

With my 23 channel, I usually monitor 27.025 (ch.6) and I roam around the 46 sideband frequencies, which are usually very quiet to say the least. When I finally graduate to a more capeable rig, I will be checking out all of the frequencies that I keep reading about.

Hey Wire Weasel, some of that activity you hear on 27.505 AM/LSB is probably me!! LOL (y)

27.505 AM/LSB has been my standby frequency for many years now, I have about 10 guys that I chat with locally on that frequency, so it works out well. I very seldom go into the "regular 40" to chat anymore, way too much "garbage" out there (and by garbage, I mean everyone keying over everyone else, sounding like a bee's nest). I'll "QSY" to another frequency that's quieter if a couple folks in DX-land are running a QSO on 27.505, but it's not too often I have to move.

If I do any DX-ing, I usually keep it in the freeband between 27.425 and 27.515 on LSB.

It's propagation, or lack thereof as the explanation as to why you don't hear much outside the US right now. The last time I was on the air was the peak of the cycle a few cycles ago.

I could work the whole continental US on 4W AM from my mobile. Working SSB at 100W I worked the world. Australia, Japan, Germany, France, New Zealand and on and on.

A few years and we'll be back to that again. Then everyone will have to run 100W AM to talk across town and we'll all be whining about that ;-).

anyone want to hazard a guess as to why nobody QSY's anymore when they make a contact on 38lsb, or 27.555?

i have a few guesses; what do you guys think?

1. they are newbies, and/or get nervous when someone actually answers their "CQ"

2. they are not interested in having an actual conversation with anyone, they just want to write down a bunch of stations in their log book.

3. they just dont have anything good to say. LOL

i have to say i lean towards #1 more.

LC

Well Loosecannon, guess I would have to go with #2

As far as above the 40, I usually run USB only in the freeband and I usually stay on the "0"'s...510 520 etc etc. Oh, maybe once in awhile I'll drop to LSB of 515 and yak at a few of guys in the West Indies.

It will be good conditions come 2012 again, and it will be nice to get back with the guys and gals over there in Asia. There are also several Ham Op's that I talk to over there in the "freeband" area.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.