• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where's the beef?

Shioda

May 17, 2009
For the last two weeks I have been testing out the new Connex 3400HP (some nice new features, same board as the Connex base station). Listening to the freeband and Amateur frequencies, (using both the modified and unmodified versions of the radio) I hear exactly one call in 40 hours of listening which may have been by an unlicensed user (I say may because there was no swearing, no Tarzan yell, no echo, no Roger beep, etc. just a normal conversation which lasted about a minute, but no call signs used). If this is a regular pattern, I don't see what the problem is with the 10 meter radios. If CB users want to modify a 10 meter to get a little extra power because their certified radio cannot transmit more than 10 miles, what's the problem? Is there some area of the country where freebanding and unlicensed operation by knuckleheads is rampant? If so, it ain't in Southern Cal.

I heard some freebanders on 4.002.9 LSB last night. They were interfering with a MARS net, although they probably didn't realize it. They were going by the calls TA71 and TA72 and were "near the camp" at Elko, Nevada.

Does that count?

Reactions: 1 person
I am interested in finding out if there really is still a problem with people using 10 meter radios without a license or on the freeband

I had the same question with my roommate.

He had this 6-pack sitting in the fridge for months. Finally I decided I'll just drink one for dinner.

Man, the next day it was a squeel fest. He made such a big deal about it, I went and bought him a new 6-pack. those 11 beers sat in the fridge until I moved out months later...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.