• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where's the wackiest place *indoors you've put an antenna?

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
I have mine on an antenna tripod sitting on the floor of my walk in closet, extending to the top of my attic.

There is less than 3-4 inches clearance, and I get out +/- 30 miles locally.

Skip is not a problem.

My local cb friends give me a non-stop hard time about this setup, and all I can say is that I am lucky to have it -- as I live in an HOA area.

when i was a teen we moved and i couldnt wait till the next evening to hear what folks were saying so i literally stuck a coathanger in the center of the 239 just to listen . NEVER keyed up...just listened .

That's cool....I started out on the radio, as a teen myself.

I began talking on a 23 channel midland hooked up to a battery with a weak old mobile antenna, hanging out my bedroom window, lol.

It's been a heck of a ride since then.

But, you gotta see this antron 99 standing up in my closet.

I will have to post a pic sometime.....

Re: Where's the wackiest place *indoors you've put an antenn

Snake Eyes said:
I have mine on an antenna tripod sitting on the floor of my walk in closet, extending to the top of my attic.

Skip is not a problem.

My local cb friends give me a non-stop hard time about this setup, and all I can say is that I am lucky to have it -- as I live in an HOA area.

:D :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: 8) That's great. It's funny how stuff like this actually works. a friend of mine is in the same situation(antenna restricted neighborhood), except he uses a moble mag mounted antenna on the roof of his project car in his garage. It works suprisingly well too! :cool:

Snake Eyes wrote:

Skip is not a problem.

Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool That's great. It's funny how stuff like this actually works. a friend of mine is in the same situation(antenna restricted neighborhood), except he uses a moble mag mounted antenna on the roof of his project car in his garage. It works suprisingly well too! Cool

It's some funny shiate!

And, believe it or not -- I get 1:1 SWR's without a ground!!!

Go flippin' figure!!!!

Antron 99 mounted vertically on a tripod in my closet barely clearing the top of the attic!

:p

LOL Mag mounts stuck to metal filing cabinets, heating vents, air condtioners, coffee cans grounded to heating vents, Metal shelves, also ran a fire stik mounted to an outdoor AC condenser unit for awhile. :p

:LOL: full size loop (11mtrs.) in the kitchen suspended from the ceiling with eletrical tape(12") and thumb tacks fed with coax in one corner. great for local work, the xl didn't really apreciate it though.

rfoverlord said:
:LOL: full size loop (11mtrs.) in the kitchen suspended from the ceiling with eletrical tape(12") and thumb tacks fed with coax in one corner. great for local work, the xl didn't really apreciate it though.

was it the locals or the raquet comming out of the radio?

This more then likely doesn't count on this question but I use a FM Yagi in my room , I can turn it anywhere I want , I enjoy a San Deigo radio station that is 120 or so miles away , the Yagi gets the job done for me.
im002553mt8.jpg

A half wave dipole for 75 meters inside my garage that's about 40X30' hooked up to a FT-101E, (this is for when I'm out side, I have a out door antenna for the inside rig) don't even want to know the SWR. I use it mostly for listening but sometimes the guys can hear me too.

Not exactly on topic but...

Used to have a job that bringing a radio to work was one of the ways to stay sort of 'sane', lots of 'dead' time. Even then it would get very borring at times. So, used to 'play' with antennas.
The work place was next to a rail road depot, and decided to try loading up the tracks one day. Couple of 'C' clamps, a run of coax, and a tuner. Took a while to find a tuner setting, but 'killing' time was part of the objective, right? Tried it on several bands with variable degrees of 'success' (very loose definition there). Called a friend here in town to see if it was working at all. It was! Later, talked to a few of the regulars in several different states. It wasn't the same 'quality' as the usual mobile antenna I used, but they heard me!
What was the SWR? No idea. How much power was being radiated? No idea, but a very safe bet would be maybe 1%, sort of, maybe, how would I know! How long was the 'antenna? Good question! I tapped a siding track near a road crossing. Best guess was maybe 4 to 8 blocks long?
I can tell you that the crossing sensors didn't 'like' it. Decided I'd better take it all loose before I got caught. @#$ thing worked though, and surprised the @#$$ out of me!
- 'Doc

i used a paperclip in my pocket once, lol was around a 2.5 match when it was in the open. does that count indoors? i dont rember why i did it but i was 16 at the time.

Hey guys, don't forget the 1/2 wave quad/HALO.

You can fold a 1/2 wave center-fed, into a square with the side opposite the fed side open by about 1"-3".

It's just like the M Squared 2m & 6m HALO, but if you mount it on it's side it will radiate in the vertical polarization, and offers a little bit of gain in the direction of the feed point, over a center-fed 1/2 wave dipole.

It may require a tuner, shorting stub or other ingenious matching network but at 4.5 feet tall and deep for 11m, and only as thinck as the wire, it could be the antenna you've been needing.

Installing a pair of them, 5/8 wave apart, (broadside for vewrtical or over-under for horizontal) will provide a real gain of 4dBd or about 6dBi with a fairly tight pattern, and in the horizontal it will be a fairly low take-off angle.

I built one when stuck out of town for a week and had to come up with something inside the room which was invisible so I used 30guage transformer wire on a side wall. Worked great!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.