• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Cb should I use

Mounting to the brand new house in not an option. The old lady has already ruled that out. If i get a 40' fence pole and put it in a 3' hole with cement would that do? Also do I need to have the antenna grounded?

Mounting to the brand new house in not an option. The old lady has already ruled that out. If i get a 40' fence pole and put it in a 3' hole with cement would that do? Also do I need to have the antenna grounded?

YES you do need it grounded. Go to your local Lowes/home cheapo, and buy a 6 foot grounding rod and pound it into the ground as far as possible then get some grounding strap and attach it to the pole your antenna is on. This forum is very helpful, just dont hesitate to ask questions.

A 40' fence pole with only 3' of cement sounds like it's waiting for a good rain to saturate the ground and tip over to me. Maybe not...but I wouldn't want to find out.

36 foot for best use of groundwave on 11meters

Groundwave propagation isn't much of a factor this high in frequency. Perhaps he meant "line of site". Anyway, then general rule is "Higher is better" to some ridiculous point. Of course, your wife, neighbors, city, etc. may not agree with that. Keep in mind that for CB there is a federal restriction on antenna height which is 20' from the highest point on the building it's mounted on, or 60' if mounted on the ground.

You got to remember if you're in a big city to check and see if there are any city ordinances or regulations pertaining to the height of an antenna. If you have some spare cash, do as the others suggested with your coax as well as buy an Antron 99 base station antenna. I've had mine for 10+ years without any problems! Good luck with your quest!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.