• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which is better with 500 watts ? wilson 1000-2000-5000 ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

so im finding im not liking the height restriction caused by the height of my 10k . its a fine antenna and im very satisified with its performance .but ive got bad knees and dont like walking more than i have to .two friends and one family member have low trees and ive been parking at the street and im not that fond of not being able to go through banks/atm's and drive throughs .

so im thinking a base loaded whip is what i want . its going on top of a montero's roof and will be mounted with a hole and stud , no maggie . right now i run a lil under 200 watts and the most ill run in the future is 500 watts or so .

so it looks like the wilsons are the way to go . seems i recall a few folks saying the 1000 and 5000 are the same tx and rx wise the 5000 just has better coax and handles more power . am i recalling that correctly ? also what about the 2000 trucker ? its pretty much a 1000 without coax or mount but is center loaded with a 5 or 10 in shaft . is there much difference between the 2000 or 5000 on a 5 inch shaft vs a 1000 or 5000 roof mounted ?

what do y'all think ? would you recomend something other than a wilson ?

some are more pickier then others and some believe the one is better then the other as far as 1000 and 5000 goes as far as RX and TX , I've ran both and I honestly experianced no differance between the two .......NONE ! and after 17 years of using the 1000 and then the 5000 I honestly don't give a ratts ass what somebody else says when they say one is better then the other . One just holds more power then the other and the one that does has bigger coax . You say you might want to run a little more power in the future ? then just go ahead and get yourself the 5000 roof mount , hell !! it's only about 20.00 more if that. Center loaded huh ? Well , your looking to cut down on size a bit and you will be very close to the same hight , I've used one of those before for grinnies and I also did not notice a change in RX and TX ......and I personally didn't like the way it looked for my concern. Different strokes for different folks . Just get yourself the 5000 roof mount , I would bet to say you will be pleased. and CHEERS !! to the drill through mount , that's the way to do it !! I freak'in hate magmounts !!! Good luck to ya

i vote for the 5000, if you are gonna go ahead and buy new, you mine as well, better coax and bigger diameter coil. the difference is splitting hairs, but I would go ahead and pay the little difference. they are both great antennas!!

anyone here delt with RFWIZ.COM before ? http://www.rfwiz.com/Wilson5000.htm
they have the roof mount 5000 for $59.00 + $8.99 shipping to my door . thats a great price but if they dont have a good reputation ill go else where .
anyone know a better price or if this isnt a decient place wanna recomend one .

that's about right Booty ,concedering shipping , that's a good price dude, unless you can find a used one.

5000 it is .
thanks switch , tex , and taker . :beer :rknrl :bounce

leave us know how ya like it.ive used wilsons for about
13 years myself and never really noticed any improvement
nothing measurable anyway.i also have been curious about
the center loaded one?stay away from from the trunk mount
doesnt ground well at all.i tried 1 on 3 different vehicles
grounded trunk and trunk hinges,ect best i could get was
1.3-1.5 depending on freq. but refection was even worse when power applied 100 watts going out and 35-40 reflected ..ouch
so i sold it for 25 bucks..lol

here's what i run and im very happy with them

roof mount 5000 on a dodge dakota
mag mount 1000 on a dodge durango
2 trucker 2000's ten inch shaft's on a kenworth w900

also have a spare 1000 mag with a 5000 on it and a 2000 ten inch shaft with a home made mount setup that i play around with at time's
all of them perform very well

BOOTY MONSTER said:
anyone here delt with RFWIZ.COM before ? http://www.rfwiz.com/Wilson5000.htm
they have the roof mount 5000 for $59.00 + $8.99 shipping to my door . thats a great price but if they dont have a good reputation ill go else where .
anyone know a better price or if this isnt a decient place wanna recomend one .

Good outfit to deal with, as the others have said. I've bought 4 or 5 Wilson's from them over the years.

hotrod said:
leave us know how ya like it.ive used wilsons for about
13 years myself and never really noticed any improvement
nothing measurable anyway.i also have been curious about
the center loaded one?stay away from from the trunk mount
doesnt ground well at all.i tried 1 on 3 different vehicles
grounded trunk and trunk hinges,ect best i could get was
1.3-1.5 depending on freq. but refection was even worse when power applied 100 watts going out and 35-40 reflected ..ouch
so i sold it for 25 bucks..lol

trunk mount is bad?

I ordered a 5000 from clays radio shop. They only have mag mount, and the other with the metal ring on the base is the trunk and roof mount according to their website. But i looked on wilson's site, and the trunk and roof mount look different only in the bottom part of the coil base. I havent received it yet so i dont know what the difference is. So i'm going to be putting the trunk mount wilson 5000 on (drilled hole) my roof.

a lot of trunks and body pannels have primer,paint and clear coat wraping around the edge and underneath to the sealing gaskets . you cant ground through paint like that and if you scrape it away to bare metal youre inviting rust to eat your vehicle . i guess you could run a grounding strap to a bolt and hope the vehicle body is grounded to the frame . besides......a roof mount always beats a trunk mount because of the height . im a lil evil so i normally wouldnt tell ya.........but..........watch your head closing the trunk with a trunk mount antenna . im only tellin you because i cant see you when you do it :twisted: . hahahahaha

BOOTY MONSTER said:
a lot of trunks and body pannels have primer,paint and clear coat wraping around the edge and underneath to the sealing gaskets . you cant ground through paint like that and if you scrape it away to bare metal youre inviting rust to eat your vehicle . i guess you could run a grounding strap to a bolt and hope the vehicle body is grounded to the frame . besides......a roof mount always beats a trunk mount because of the height . im a lil evil so i normally wouldnt tell ya.........but..........watch your head closing the trunk with a trunk mount antenna . im only tellin you because i cant see you when you do it :twisted: . hahahahaha
very well said.and to add on the grounding i tryed 3 different
cars with lots of grounds believe 4 runs only managed only
1.4 ch.1
1.9 ch.40
while this is usable i did a roof mount on same car no grounds
had 1.1 on 1
1.2 on 40 hmm the same i dont think so

i have a 2000 lincoln town car with a trunk mount 1000 and boy i am totaly suprised at the performance. i just stuck it on the trunk and set the swrs & got them down to 1.1 on ch. 1 and the highest they get is to 1.3 up on ch. 55 27.555. no ground straps or anything yet. talking lsb i have talked Dx all over the US & down into the carribian with an tricked out Rci 2950. can't wait to see what will happen with some grounding & bonding as well as a 450 watt messenger.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.