• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which mobile radio is better??

Dan .. my personal opinion is if a radio doesn't have sideband, then it's not worth considering, but to each his own. I'd go with a lower power radio and add an amp.

I am not a fan of either radio you listed only because I think thats alot to cram into a radio. They tend to run hot and if you a long talker the radio will not last.

That said the RCI has four 2879 finals so it should be the stronger radio then the Connex with four 1446 finals. I still can't believe they stuff a 4 pill linear into a radio like that. I agree with Peddler.

I am not a fan of either radio you listed only because I think thats alot to cram into a radio. They tend to run hot and if you a long talker the radio will not last.

That said the RCI has four 2879 finals so it should be the stronger radio then the Connex with four 1446 finals. I still can't believe they stuff a 4 pill linear into a radio like that. I agree with Peddler.

Just turn down the DK and run a amp, if your concerned about heat.

Now the question is what amp?

Even if you ar a strictly AM user when your spending big money on this type of radio why not get SSB!!! More bang for the buck so to speak nothing wrong with extra features ;) As mentioned above BE VERY AWARE of problems and potential problems with these high powered radios you have mentioned they aswell as several others run into a number of isssues one being heat some a string of other issues.

I also dont believe in cramming a large amplifier into a transceiver all those high power RF components sending out these extreme wattages and any stray RF in that radio is havoc. I say get a lower power radio dual final runt that lower and (your not beating the radio) and run that into an amplifier spend $10.00 on a fan or 2 of appropriate size and keep the amplifier cool or at a tolerable temp and you wont be sorry.

The other thing to think about is a common sense thing and thats if your radio and amp are together or in one unit if the radio side fails you lose your amp along with the radio you have nothing until its fixed aswell as the flipside of the token if your amp or RF section fails your also done until repaired if you see what Im saying??

This way you still have one or the other to hook up to and use with another setup ETC. This is also my personal view on theTv DVD or TV VCR combos aswell as these stereos with tape decks or CD players built in. If your DVD or VCR player fails you still have your TV and can hook another component up ;)

Last edited:
Dan .. my personal opinion is if a radio doesn't have sideband, then it's not worth considering, but to each his own. I'd go with a lower power radio and add an amp.

I agree 100%. Blow a final transistor in one of those and it is a hatchet job to repair.

Galaxy 959 would be a great choice. A 2 or 4 pill amp would complement it nicely as well. If you only want to do AM, there is the Galaxy 919 and the Magnum S3. If you want just a big ole' radio without an amp that does EVERYTHING, then the Magnum S9 is for you. They even make a 80 and 175w version = huge size though...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.