• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which mobile radio should I buy?

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
Looking to upgrade my moible in the next couple of months. Right now I have a cobra 29. I either want one or two things maybe both. More power or ssb again not necessarily both. I also like the idea of having a 10 meter radio as this would be my first one. My ideas are a galaxy 959. Sparkys has factory referbs right now for $119.00. I was wondering if that was a good idea but I'am not sure because they are referbs. Thats my option for ssb, and I know it's not a 10 meter radio but I could live with it. My option for higher power is the general lee. Sparkys has them for $169.00 right now. And my option for both ssb and higher power is the galaxy dx99v. Also about how much do the dx99v's cost and where would be the best place to buy one because I haven't researched that yet. If you have any ideas for radios or where to buy them please feel free to list them. Thanks in advance!

I run with the Galaxy DX 99V in my mobile. I don't think anyone sells them any more - could be wrong. They are very pricey too. They don't make them any more. Maybe a refurb can be found somewhere - dunno.

A Galaxy 979 is a great choice too. So is the 959. Can't go wrong with either for the price. I would buy a Galaxy 979/refurb and save $$$...

Looking to upgrade my moible in the next couple of months. Right now I have a cobra 29. I either want one or two things maybe both. More power or ssb again not necessarily both. I also like the idea of having a 10 meter radio as this would be my first one. My ideas are a galaxy 959. Sparkys has factory referbs right now for $119.00. I was wondering if that was a good idea but I'am not sure because they are refurbs. Thats my option for ssb, and I know it's not a 10 meter radio but I could live with it. My option for higher power is the general lee. Sparkys has them for $169.00 right now. And my option for both ssb and higher power is the galaxy dx99v. Also about how much do the dx99v's cost and where would be the best place to buy one because I haven't researched that yet. If you have any ideas for radios or where to buy them please feel free to list them. Thanks in advance!

There is not one darn thing wrong with refurbs as long as they come with warranty. In fact I'll buy a refurb before I buy new if a refurb is available since a refurb has all the bugs worked out already while their price makes my money go further.

I saw galaxy 949 referbs for 95.00 and the clarifier is unlocked from sparkys would this be a good radio. I am really starting to lean towards this or the 959 referb the only defference in the two is the 949 doesn't have the frec counter. Which should I get?

I have the Galaxy DX959 with the freq counter. I like it because if you decide to do the channel mod, the freq counter follows right along and they have good modulation also.

I still am not sure wether to get the 949 or the 959. I don't know if its worth saving about $25.00 when I could just go ahead and give a little extra and get the frec counter in the 959. What do you guys think?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.