• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which multiband antenna?

Your best wire you can do is the 160 meter full wave loop. Fed with twin thru a tuner and you will have 160-10,maybe 6 as well. I have used this setup several times for fieldday. If you are willing to tune and load your radio, then why not an antenna tuner as well. Dont forget your dummy load so you are not tuning the radio on air.
Rich

simple.

go to a feed and tractor store and purchase some 17 gauge aluminum electic fence wire (1/4 miles is about $25-30)

figure out what band you plan to run and cut a wire section that is a little longer than 1/4, do this for EACH band (in my case 160-80-40)

mount these right above the ground but not on the ground and shoot them into a tree... do not let the leads touch each other, if they can't get high enough in the tree then just dog leg them into another tree

attach the center conductor of your coax to these leads You can do and many bands on one coax as you like, BUT more than 4 becomes a little weird to tune

then make as many 1/4 wave wires as you can and lay them on the ground, pulling them out from the antenna, attach all these to the coax shield

now trim and tune like you would a dipole just make sure you double check it a few times

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with the others STAY AWAY FROM A G5RV.

I had one up for less than a week and ripped it down put a end feed wire

back up and was happy again until I got a 5 element tri-band up.

Still use the end feed for 80/160,

The G5RV is going on Fleebay and get what ever it brings

You have the acreage put the loop up and you should be happy

Last edited:
You may need a Tuner for these wire antennas.
However they work well
==>>> Radio Antennas/Radio Communications/Creative Design Corp./Commercial Antennas <<<==

I recognize a couple of those. They are used at the naval communications station a few mile away. The have several of the one in the bottom right corner of the link aimed in different directions. Of course they also have several 3-30 MHz rotatable LPDA's as well as a huge LF inverted cone antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.