• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Of thesewould you choose?

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
if you had the choice between only these two amps.

Which one would you choose and why?

And which would give you full legal limit on all AM, SSB, CW ect without breaking an effort?

Ameritron AL-82

Or

Ameritron AL-1200

if you had the choice between only these two amps.

Which one would you choose and why?

And which would give you full legal limit on all AM, SSB, CW ect without breaking an effort?

Ameritron AL-82

Or

Ameritron AL-1200

Both are outstanding amps that are time proven. If I had the money, I'd pony up for the 1200 just because it's a hoss. As far as other reasons, please refer to your other thread about the 1200 vs the 1500. Big price difference for new units... are you looking at new or used?

And to throw you a curve ball, I personally didn't see the need to go full legal limit vs. what my AL-80B will do. About 500 watts will get you heard more times than not, and my amp was less than a grand (used). The AL-80B will run 500-600 watts all day long, and do it for many years.

Brett

And to throw you a curve ball, I personally didn't see the need to go full legal limit vs. what my AL-80B will do. About 500 watts will get you heard more times than not, and my amp was less than a grand (used). The AL-80B will run 500-600 watts all day long, and do it for many years.
I second this, no need for full limit.

I wish Ameritron would make a legal limit amp for us Canadians. :( Our legal limit is 2250 watts pep for any SSB mode or a full 750 watt carrier on AM. That would require it to be capable of 3 Kw pep AND withstand the tough duty cycle of that mode.

Well, I just realized from another thread that you already have an AL-80B. So, in the words of Emily Litella, "never mind".

Brett

"What makes Ameritron AL-1200 stand out from other legal limit amplifiers? The answer: a heavy duty power supply that loafs at full legal power. It can deliver power of more than 2500 watts PEP two tone output for a half hour!"

There is you 2250 legal limit. I like the 1200 myself, a ceramic type tube with no worm up time.

If you want one that will loaf at 2250.
http://emtron.com.au/products/dx3sp.php

"What makes Ameritron AL-1200 stand out from other legal limit amplifiers? The answer: a heavy duty power supply that loafs at full legal power. It can deliver power of more than 2500 watts PEP two tone output for a half hour!"

There is you 2250 legal limit. I like the 1200 myself, a ceramic type tube with no worm up time.

BUT, that same transformer is in the AL-1500, AL-1200 and AL-82, so that said which between 82-1200 gets the best bang for the buck?

I examined a 1200 a few weeks ago. It's a beast, you need to people to move it around safely and if you ever need to replace the tube...big time $$$$.

CPI rates that tube at 1500 watts out with 85 watts drive for typical operation at 3600 volts. Not sure I would want to run 2500 watts steady for 30 minutes regardless of what Ameritron says. Note: just wondering if that 2500 watts is talking about RF output or since they were talking about the power supply does it mean the power supply will provide 2500 watts for that amount of time? Either way i would take the Emtron any day if I had the $$$ to spare but for now I shall be content gathering parts to build my 3CX3000A7 amplifier and just plain not worry about AM service on long ragchews on 80m. :)

Reactions: wavrider
Not seeking to run max power, but also sometimes things happen, which comes too how much cost, though the 1200 is a powerhouse the 82 does quite well and tubes are a lot cheaper yet still gives all day full legal power. It's is the 1200 tube worth it if it goes poof vs 2 3-500Z? And even if going with match set of 3-500z-amperex tubes? Or am I way off?

Since AM is a factor look past the tubes and look at the power supplies. A pair of 3-500z's or a single 1200 will get you legal limit AM. If you like to run a heavy carrier maybe the 1200 is better but still a lot more expensive than the 500z.

I'm not familiar with either amp but take a close look at the HV transformer in each amp. For AM service I'd choose the amp with the beefier power supply. If you aren't a long winded buzzard it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Since AM is a factor look past the tubes and look at the power supplies. A pair of 3-500z's or a single 1200 will get you legal limit AM. If you like to run a heavy carrier maybe the 1200 is better but still a lot more expensive than the 500z.

I'm not familiar with either amp but take a close look at the HV transformer in each amp. For AM service I'd choose the amp with the beefier power supply. If you aren't a long winded buzzard it really doesn't matter.

I agree. For AM service the heavier power supply is generally in the better amp to get. My Home brew amp (eventually) will have an 85 pound plate transformer. LOL

Reactions: Onelasttime

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.