• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which power supply?

best bet is to get one that has some headroom, if your rig draws 20 amps then look at 30 amp supplies.

Astron 70 amp regulated power supply is what I use. They are big and heavy well known and used in the Amateur community.

I use it for my HF station and it easily powers my Kenwood TS590 and 400 watt amplifier and auto-tuners and other low amperage accessories.

A 35 amp is all you need for a 100 watt HF radio with a little amperage to spare.

The most important thing to look at is the power supply's continuous rating rather than the peak.

Astron's 20 amp power supply for example peaks at 20 but the continuous rating is 16 amps. That's a little shy to run a 100 watt HF rig. My 70 amp peaks at 70, but the continuous is only 57 amps.

Seems like you get cheated but that's the way power supplies are spec'd and sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oatmeal
For a base station an Astron 35 amp LINEAR
supply will be fine for your HF 100 watt radio.
Mine has performed flawlessly for 20 years.
Don't take a chance on any switching supply
which may be a noise source on HF bands.

Reactions: Oatmeal
Get a computer server power supply off eBay. Get more for less than buying any off the shelf unit. 50 amps for 15-20$. How does that sound?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Delta-Electr...995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9aca85f3

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Love love love my Iota's. DLS-55's here. Can't go wrong with an Astron, either. But Klondike Mike offers up a great and inexpensive alternative. I have looked into this myself, but have yet to take the plunge.

Brett

Love love love my Iota's. DLS-55's here. Can't go wrong with an Astron, either. But Klondike Mike offers up a great and inexpensive alternative. I have looked into this myself, but have yet to take the plunge.

Brett
I went down the path that KM talked about. 43 amp 12.8 v for about $15. I switched it and set the voltage to 12.8 vdc. works great and I have not noted any hash yet.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.