• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

who do you think??

The company that made the one sitting on my desk with the power turned on and an antenna connected to it ;-).

There is no way to say that covering all the rigs out there. There are good and bad models in each of their lineups and they all have strengths and weaknesses of their own for different uses.

I would go so far as to say of anything fairly recent, there are few, maybe none that I would say are truly a bad radio, but there are definitely plusses and minuses depending on what type of ops you are doing.

Which ones were you thinking about...that would be more useful.

The company that made the one sitting on my desk with the power turned on and an antenna connected to it ;-).

There is no way to say that covering all the rigs out there. There are good and bad models in each of their lineups and they all have strengths and weaknesses of their own for different uses.

I would go so far as to say of anything fairly recent, there are few, maybe none that I would say are truly a bad radio, but there are definitely plusses and minuses depending on what type of ops you are doing.

Which ones were you thinking about...that would be more useful.

something that has a good band scope and that can also do 11 meters if needed

The only really good band scopes are SDR, as in Flex radio and I'm not sure if they do 11m or not. I think you would have to hack the software to make that go. Maybe the SDR-1000 would do it.

The Icom Pro 3, be careful with 11m, check with people. As I understood it they do not do 11m well and you can damage them, but I don't know first hand.

High end rigs with band scopes...I wouldn't abuse them on 11m myself, just get an older rig that does AM a lot better for that or an actual CB.

With CB radios being as cheap as they are, why push the envelope with modifying a $4,000.00* rig just to get 100 watts on that one band, just doesn't make sense.....

* Price based on the new Icom IC-7600 that has a band scope

I haven't seen/heard any modern solid state amateur rigs do AM equivalent to a CB, the dynamic range is just not there because of the tight front ends and filtering, even with the optional AM filters installed. Reception of AM on modern ham rigs sounds flat and bassy as does the transmit. On SSB, the dynamic range of the audio is usually comparible, but the ham rigs perform better, with better rejection, and cleaner audio, so you could use it on 11 meters SSB.

Most CB's have really wide front ends and filters which makes for more pleasing reception of all those trashy overdriven signals that are all over the 11 meter band, but at the price of getting more adjacent interference too. The CB's also tend to have better noise blankers and reduction units that just work better on AM.

If you are into AM CB, you probably will not be happy with a modern ham rig for that mode but it will work on SSB. Nevertheless, if you have your heart set on a ham rig for 11 meters AM, probably the most popular is the Yaesu FT 101E or 101EE. There are tons of these radio out there, the only problem is they use sweep tubes, that are getting harder and harder to find and more expensive, like $70 each, which will not last long using them on AM. For SSB, most of the vintage rigs from the 80's probably will work ok.

Last edited:
Flex radio and I'm not sure if they do 11m or not. I think you would have to hack the software to make that go. Maybe the SDR-1000 would do it.

You have to call Flex-Radio and provide them with a copy of your MARS license. Then they send you a firmware update that you have to apply to your rig and they keep on file who they sent the update to. You're not going to get one "hacked" very easily.

For the price and funtionality, I think the Flex-Radios are unbelievable. I would love to have one. SDR isn't for everyone, though. The Yaesu that was previously mentioned is really good from what I've been able to see playing with it in the store. If I was going to spend that much cash, I would also take a hard look at the Icom 7600. I tend to like the User Interface better on the Icom rigs. Too bad I don't have that much cash... :) :)

There are three things you should remember;

"If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat!"

"I Can Only Monitor is better than nothing!"

"Who would want anything with 'AES' in the middle of it!'

...and #4;

"You don't NEED a computer with any of the above."

...and #5;

"A Loan INvestment COmpany is required for repairs!"

Something that does EVERYTHING well is called a female. Just ask one.

- 'Doc

(How come I didn't say something about all the rest of them radio brands? Cuz I ain't female.)

ICOM, they have made some really good HF rigs. Their noise blankers have never been good but other than that, great rigs.

Obviously you have never had an icom IC-735. Excellant noise blanker. Wish I had never sold mine.

BTW Doc is correct about the Kenwoods but only if it has hollow state finals like my TS-820S. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.