• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who has or plans on getting a FTM-350.

Wise87

Jan 6, 2010
I am still on the fence about getting this radio. So far I’ve found less than a dozen users throughout the internet who actually have the FTM-350. I know it’s still new and many others are waiting for additional feedback or price drops. I know a lot of the old hams can’t see spending that kind of money on a dual band rig. Funny though, they will drop a grand plus on some HF gear with accessories. I know as much as I talk (newbie ham) I should just get a FT-7900 to start off with but I like this radio and it would go good with my 996XT scanner setup in my Tahoe. I would also use the 350 as a backup scanner. I am so torn between the 350 and the IC-2820.

So who else has, wants or could care less about the FTM-350R and reason for that choice?

I'm considering the purchase of the FTM-350 also. I've had my ticket for a little over a year and work VHF/UHF mostly.

I recently sold my FT-60 and upgraded to the VX-8R and like it very much.

I'm hoping to use the 350 for offroading in my H3 and am interested in how well it interfaces with a laptop running mapping software.

I just put my FT-7800 up for sale on QRZ, so depending on if/when I sell it I'll likely pull the trigger on the 350.

I have found the information on this forum for both the VX-8R and FTM-350 most helpful.

Good luck with your choice!

NY ESU
Thanks for the feedback. You’re running along the same line as some others where they own the VX-8R and will get or have the FTM-350. I have the VX-8R and deciding on the 350.

Obviously I have the FTM-350. While I like a lot of the things it can do, it has a couple of major flaws that need to be fixed. The lockup issue is the most significant one, in my opinion. I would hold on to your cash for a bit and see how long it takes for Yaesu to fix the 350. The Icom 2820 is cool because it has DSTAR, but DSTAR coverage is spotty. If you like APRS, you will definitely be disappointed by the current state of APRS over DSTAR.

I was meaning to ask, have you contacted Yaesu yet on the issues your having? I've been talking to Tim Factor about my VX-8r over the last week. He is good about helping folks out and keeping in touch. I wonder how long the wait will be? When I talked to Tim today, he was aware of the Nav issue reported by the other user but hadn't heard anything on the lockup problems. I know your collecting data about it. How long after the VX-8R was released did Yaesu know there was a problem and did they ask users to send them in for repair or was it a user firmware fix?

i am still on the fence as well ... it has a lot of features that i do not see my self using ... but the display and overall (apparent) ease of use is one thing that is attracting me to it ...

on that note though, there are plenty of other radios out there for well under half it's price that work great.

i am waiting a few more months to see if any other issues come up or get resolved before i decide for sure.

I was meaning to ask, have you contacted Yaesu yet on the issues your having? I've been talking to Tim Factor about my VX-8r over the last week. He is good about helping folks out and keeping in touch. I wonder how long the wait will be? When I talked to Tim today, he was aware of the Nav issue reported by the other user but hadn't heard anything on the lockup problems. I know your collecting data about it. How long after the VX-8R was released did Yaesu know there was a problem and did they ask users to send them in for repair or was it a user firmware fix?

I contacted them last night, and they replied to send it in. I will probably do that next week because I want to test the NAVI features out this weekend.

Yaesu never announced that there was a problem with the VX-8r. It was up to you to contact them if you were having an issue.

Sorry that you have to send it in for repairs. I know from my house in Florida, it 5 days UPS ground one way. When I have to send items to Yaesu, I plan on the item being gone for 3 weeks.:cry:

I'm going to miss your reviews once you do send it in. I've gained more knowledge in the last few days on the 350R by just following your post. The only advice I did not follow that you gave was to wait awhile for ordering the radio. I know I canceled my first order but after talking to Yaesu the other day I feel much better. Plus I can always send it in. I’ve been wanting this unit for some time and I saved up just for it so I figured what the hell.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.