• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

who runs hf mobil

hf rig

I use the Little tarheel 2 and the 706 mk2. This is a great setup . the little tarheel 2 catches very little wind and the reports are great. it is built like a tank and customer service with tarheel is next to none. (y)

I run a homebrew bugcatcher style antenna.Screwdriver antennas are for wooses.I have a 12"X4.5" coil,4 winds ber inch of 12 ga. It has a 60 inch mast,DX engineering cap hat, and enough top whip to make it 1/4 on 15 without coil.I use andersen powerpoles that I costomized for tapps. Works great.
And is more satiafying knowing I made myself,instead of getting out of a blisterpack.
Rich

does any one use the hi-q brand
I run a Hi-Q 5/160 marine with a better RF controller. My mount for it came from Hank Brreedlove PRODUCTS
most of my install info came from allen Welcome to KØBG's Web Site and Charlie Gyenes both answered all my questions very quickly. It was a PIA to get the shunt coil (5 different times) tuned for 160-10mtrs. I know you can just use a MFJ 909/910 but it was a pain having to remember to switch it and static sucked when it was raining. I don't usually run 160 but it was nice to know i can. The biggest help was a antenna analyser. Like EDUCATOR , bonding was done extensively . In the end it was well worth it it now tunes up 75/80 - 10 with a 58" whip each and every time, i have a 106" whip and 32' cap if i want to get on 160.(y)(y)

It was a PIA to get the shunt coil (5 different times) tuned for 160-10mtrs. I know you can just use a MFJ 909/910 but it was a pain having to remember to switch it and static sucked when it was raining.

I used a shunt coil from Tarheel antennas: Home I used to have a little Tarheel II from them (sold it) and also the bigger full size tarheel (lost it..mount broke :( ). Anyway, the coil they ship is a longer skinny one, which isn't as efficient as a fat one, but the tuning on it sure is easy. As it happens, the mechanics of the installation location favor the longer, skinnier anyway. I also used one of those MFJ capacitance matcher switchboxes with it for a while. The problem with that is that you can't get one setting where both 80/75 are completely happy with a low enough SWR to run an amplifier. So you end up having to switch it between settings, which is a PIA. I took that out, sold it and just use the matching coil now and am done with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.