• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why should you join a ham club?

TMI

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 6, 2009
On a recent 2-meter net, we got to talking about the benefits of joining a ham radio club. The brief results are posted on our Mason County Amateur Radio Club website at Why you should join an amateur radio club.

Any other thoughts will be most welcome, either here or on our club website linked above. I'll roll the feedback up on our club website, and link back to this post.

Thanks,

Tom W3ROK

Try before you buy. You can probably find someone who has the piece your looking for.

Been there done that. Most of your problems and dilemmas have happened to someone else. Don't learn the hard way. Ask someone who did.

Borrow don't buy. I bet our club has 50 members who own an MFJ-259 antenna analyzer. I loan mine frequently. Think of all the other test equipment you would like to have but can't afford. Someone probably will loan it to you.

Our club has over 200 members (http://www.dlarc.org ). Combined we probably have 2,500 years of radio experience in our club. I have allot to learn and I usually find the help I need.

Try before you buy pertains to the clubs themselves and not just gear.

Two of the four clubs in my area within reasonable driving range (1 is the my-county club) I won't have anything to do with. They are saddled with the old timer - leaders who like everything just the way it is, like it was 40 years ago, and won't consider changing anything. A good 'ol boy club in the extreme. Their way or the highway. So you run into stuff like that. They may be helpful sometimes with this thing or that thing but it's still their way or you're wrong or you just ain't gonna get what you're after no matter how reasonable your request or whether you're right or not.

Other clubs aren't so stuffy or closed minded. May have to do with higher membership levels and at least somewhat younger average age of the membership.

Lot's of politics....not enough ham radio.

So if interested, check out the clubs available to you and visit as a quest for a good six months or so before you hand over de money. One of the two local clubs that I'll have nothing to do with screwed me over on something within the fist month of my joining. I asked for my dues money back and they refused. You run into stuff like this.

Buyer beware and 73

Interesting responses so far. Any other reasons to join a ham radio club?

The Mason County Amateur Radio Club states these reasons for joining their club:

•The club is a place to get, and give, help.
•It provides contact with local radio amateurs.
•What a great place to get an introduction to ham radio.
•You hear other people’s ideas.
•Members help new people learn what to do in an emergency.
•I would not have gone for my license without a local club.
•Help building a station.

Sounds strangely like the WWRF!
I'm not knocking Ham clubs; I'm sure they do a great job.

im going to be honest here.
i started hanging around the local ham radio shop got invited to a few meets and radio contests

got into the idea of meeting new folks and exchanging ideas
and then i started noticing folks were either snobby or very very nosey
and its was going to be this way or no way
and anything below or above the ARRL Book was not to be spoken of.

so then i decided this was not for me and got out and never looked back

For the most part, you shouldn't join a club. If you happen to have that rare club that brings something to the table that I've yet to see then more power to you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.