• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

will a power mic give me more modulation on a stock radio?

A power mic will only be a help with a stock unpeaked radio. Most CB Radio stock mics are real cheap.

Getting the right mic can make all the difference in the world tune or no tune. There are several locals who run d104 desk mics and whenever the battery goes out and they go to a stock hand mic their audio drops way down.

I have a Sparky tuned Cobra 25 that came with a stock mic, by switching to a 2018 echo/power mic the audio was way better. Another local runs a hopped up Cobra 29 and when he runs it with the d104 hand mic it's once again much louder sounding.

Any properly functioning power mike will make your stock radio louder than a stock or unamplified mike.
A power mike increases the average power level in your audio content and that is where loudness in most easily noticed; In the AVERAGE power level.

RADIOOMAN

huh.... I was told once that power mics were snake oil, but I've never tried one myself. I was thinkin bout a RF Limited 577 or 2018 though.

It depends on what you are calling 'modulation'. A typical 'power mic' will increase the amount of audio going to the radio. It will also change the 'structure' of that audio, make it sound different like an audio equalizer does. It does not increase the 'modulation' though, the radio does that, that's the function of the audio circuitry in the radio. Does that make any sense to you?
- 'Doc

A power mic will make your louder but a properly tuned radio will make you even more louder...

Power mics

A power mic will make your louder but a properly tuned radio will make you even more louder...

My Galaxy DX-959 has been tuned and aligned by DTB. He set the radio's modulation to 100%. My 959 will modulate to 100% using the stock Galaxy hand mic and will go over 100% if I whistle backwards while breathing in through my mouth. I do however use a RF Limited 2018 Xtreme power echo mic wich I have cranked all the way up on it's gain control. So,tune a radio right and with the right mic,and you'll have it made on the shade.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.