• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will Dual Antennas increase your recieve???

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
1.) Will Dual Antennas increase your recieve???
Will you be able to hear Farther???

2.) If they did would it be
Such a small it mount that it would not be noticable?

1.) Will Dual Antennas increase your recieve???
Will you be able to hear Farther???

Yes, they will help the receive from the front and the back of the vehicle at the cost of receive from the sides.

2.) If they did would it be
Such a small it mount that it would not be noticable?

Yes again. We are talking a gain of about 1/8'th of an s-unit if the antennas are 9 feet apart (1.1 dB in gain over a single antenna). It is possible to get noticeable gain if you put the antennas further than that apart, but it never reaches an s-units worth of gain. 18 to 22 feet apart is optimal for dual antenna gain, assuming they are fed in phase...

The DB

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I don't normally buy into the myths surrounding the drawbacks of dual antennas on trucks. Even I'll say that on a 4 wheeler the losses would outweigh the gains. In that instance, a single whip would outperform a dual. One thing I would worry about on a wheeler is sufficient counterpoise. You may be able to get an antenna to show a good tune on an SWR meter, but I would have questions as how much performance to expect.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Would Duals be of no use on a 4-wheeler/ATV then???
I Imagine in a Suviavial situation like this you would want the full
circle of coverage 1 antenna provides right???

Here is what you need.
1) Ham radio license.
2) 2 meter hand held.
3) cell phone.
3) Forget dual antennas on anything......just let it go, they are worthless. They would be absurd on an ATV.

Here you go, a comparison between a single antenna for reference and two of the same antennas 3 meters (about 3.2 feet) apart.

reference.jpg
1meterapart.jpg

I've played with ground quality, height, and antenna lengths some and the difference in gain is all within 0.01 dB between the models.

In this case you won't get anything like a bidirectional signal... It will act almost exactly like you had one antenna...

Further, if you take all of the signals that are transmitted in all directions and average them you will find you actually have a slight loss in overall signal strength...

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.