• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will I have problems with using an amplifier w/my Imax 2000

Snake_Eyes

Oct 16, 2005
I am wondering whether there will be TVI or other related problems if I buy a 600 watt amplifier (KLV-550) for my Yaesu FT-817ND. Before I make that leap, I'd like to hear what others' perceptitions are.

Thanks.

Buther Boy

Buther Boy,
Because there are so many variables in that situation, the 'best' answer is an absolute, positively definite 'maybe'. Lot's of help, huh?
- 'Doc

KLV 550

Snake, I don't know what the power output of your Yaesu is but according to RM'S Website drive should be no more than 10 watts am and 20 watts SSB. I know that the amps that they rate 4 watts am are better with no more than 2.5 dead key. With that being the case the 550 is probably better with no more than 5 watts dead key swing should be okay up to 20 watts. wITH KLV's tube amps you have to look after them or they go poooof!
Murray

the kl550 base is a strange animal, a few have the mrf422 transistors while most have sd1407's the last two i have tested indicated 175w with a 3.5w deadkey and only 240w with a 7w deadkey on a telewave meter and good dummyload, thats not linear and nowhere near the makers power figures for fm or ssb peak reading, i have seen more than that on an older 550 and i am guessing it had mrf422's in it,
another point is they dont sound like a properly biased amp on ssb either but they do work and some folk are happy with that rather than have a separate regulated psu and mobile amp

imax 200

no u wont i gave mine a 5watt dead key on AM 10 watts on ssb with my kenwood ts-2000 and my imax2000 still works .

rember height is might try to get the tip of the antenna hight than the power lines and remeber ground ground ground

groun the antenna , radio, and amp on its own 8ft copper grounding rod and use flat braided ground strap. if u can buy it in bulk at a local home depo or hardware store , u can use the braid out of old rg/8u coax or u can order ground strap form places like H&Y at www.hyelectronics.com or R&R communications at www.rrcomm.com

NJ 124:

Will 7' or more (like 25') of ground strap do the job? I've never done this, so, what do you think? And is there a link somewhere that can show me how to properly ground my Imax 2000?

Thanks...

Snake Eyes

NJ 124:

I have been searching the web, and cannot find anything at Hy Electronics. Below are some questions I have, and two ground straps for sale on ebay.

1) What do I do with the ground strap? Do I connect one end of it to a steel rod and the other to the Imax 2000? Where on the Imax 2000 does the ground strap connect to?

2) Do you know where to buy the steel rods?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CB-Ham-Radio-An...5821597799QQcategoryZ4672QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ground-Strap-25...5820864975QQcategoryZ1502QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Many thanks.

Snake Eyes

Snake_Eyes,
The grounding of any common antenna is for electrical safety not really anything to do with a signal. Have it on a metal pole that stands on the ground? Ground the pole. How? Run some wire radially from the base of the pole. How many? One more than the number in the ground when you get sick'n'tired of it! How long? As long as you can manage, but no longer than the length of the pole, sort of. The more the better. (Beats a groundrod like you wouldn't believe.) What size wire? Whatever size you happen to have the most of. Insulated or not? If it's for electrical safety, then uninsulated. If it's for RF purposes it doesn't matter.
- 'Doc

PS - If you don't wanna ground the thing, don't worry about it, you'll probably never tell the difference.

Snake_Eyes,
The grounding of any common antenna is for electrical safety not really anything to do with a signal. Have it on a metal pole that stands on the ground? Ground the pole. How? Run some wire radially from the base of the pole. How many? One more than the number in the ground when you get sick'n'tired of it! How long? As long as you can manage, but no longer than the length of the pole, sort of. The more the better. (Beats a groundrod like you wouldn't believe.) What size wire? Whatever size you happen to have the most of. Insulated or not? If it's for electrical safety, then uninsulated. If it's for RF purposes it doesn't matter.
- 'Doc

PS - If you don't wanna ground the thing, don't worry about it, you'll probably never tell the difference.

Doc:

I appreciate everything you've told me about the grounding situation. Thank you! Now, I just wonder about a 9 foot counterpoise as I am unable to properly ground in my association area.

For the counterpoise, shall I just run the wire around the so-239 connector area on the antenna? If not, where? The other end, I know, will go to my radio.

Maybe the counterpoise suffers the same fate as my grounding dilemma...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.