• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will I have problems with using an amplifier w/my Imax 2000

Antenna's and amps

Snake the Imax 2000 will be able to easily take the power of that KLV550 The Imax and the A99 are two very cost effective antenna's, simple to install the ground plane kit maybe of relatively little advantage but may help reduce TVI. Both of these antenna's have a bit of a reputation for creating TVI so take my advice and check if there are any local tv channels transmitting on harmonics of 27mhz (ie 54-55mhz etc) if there is you may be better choosing something like the Maco verticals or one of the more expensive groundplane types.
Important thing is to get that swr as low as possible and feed the antenna with something like either RG8X or RG213 coax.
Murray

using the 2000 or the 99 ....getting it up as high as you possible can will be a plus ........but with either one of those antenna's it would be a total plus if you could use 9913 coax ....it might be one of the best coax's there is ? ....I do know that it will be a total plus in excluding TVI with those two antenna's.....it's really good coax !! (-:

Snake Eyes,
A counterpoise should connect to the braid side of the feed line (doesn't have to connect directly, so the 'body' of the PL-259 or SO-239 would do). It has to be a connection ~AT~ the antenna, not at the radio, by the way, and the other end of the counterpoise could just wave in the breeze, not connect to anything.
But, on something like an 'A99' or Imax, a counterpoise isn't needed. A counterpoise is part of the antenna and those two antennas are 'complete' without it, just not needed. What you are talking about is still an electrical ground, sort of. There's no need for an additional connection between antenna and radio, there already is one (the braid).
The 'biggy' is to make sure the antenna is tuned/adjusted correctly, low SWR. When that happens there's almost no restrictions on the type of feed line (RG-58u will work, even). The higher the SWR the higher the voltages on the feed line and at some point it gets high enough to arc. That's what determines the wattage rattings of coax, by the way.
Interference... Depends on several things. The radio output and amplifier output has to be 'clean', no harmonics/parasitics. Whatever gets to the antenna gets radiated. So, make sure not to 'over-do' things which will produce harmonics and parasitics. Unfortunately, the type of coax used doesn't stop the unwanted parts of the signal. It only does it's job which is to take the signal from the transmitter to the antenna with as little loss as possible, right? To get rid of harmonics and parasitics and other types of 'interference' the best thing is to not produce them! The next 'best' way to get rid of them is to 'filter' them out before they get to the antenna. And THAT's gonna be another 'can of worms' to get into - LOL! [Not a good time for me to try explaining any of that, just got a new lava light, it's got my total attention. I love blinking lights, blobs of goo floating around, etc, etc. Think it's senility!]
- 'Doc

Doc,

It looks like I'm not going to be able to put up the Imax 2000 that I purchased. I'm going to need to go with a dipole in my garage. I wonder if I can cophase 2, 3, even 4 of them. Could you please explain to me how that process works?

Thanks a million, Doc.

Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.