• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 Or Wilson 5000

What's heavier 1lb of feathers or a 1lb of steel?? A 1lb is a lb. THe only difference is how much power are your going to pump into them. THe 1000 is rated at 3k and the 5000 at 5k. You choose.

The antenna doesn't care what mode of operation you use.

Due to the larger diameter coil in the 5000, it IS a better antenna over the 1000. You would need instruments to measure the difference however. In other words, with all things being equal, I'd be suprised if you could hear the difference between the 1000 and the 5000, but it could happen.

If you use 1K+, get the 5000, if you run under 1K, get the 1000.

I run a 1000 with a pair of 2879s. Everyone hears me just fine!

The 5000 has a higher coil Q than the 1000. That means it will be more efficient, which translates into better RX and TX. Now that said, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily hear the difference....

There may well be a scientific advantage between the two ? I have run both and I didn't hear or see (RX/TX) any differance what so ever. If your not running over 500 watts pep the 1000 will do you just fine with it's RG 58 that comes with it anything over that you would need to upgrade the coax to RG 8 mini / 95X style coax at the least to handle more power . The 5000 already comes with the RG 8 mini coax , my personal experiance tells me there is NO differents between the two concerning RX/TX other then one will hold more power then the other. So if you are not running over a 1000 watts ......you can pretty much save your money and go with the 1000. Wow !! I'd like to see 3K through one of those !! You better have some damned good coax on that baby if that were to be the case !! I have yet to see a burnt up Wilson coil as of yet ...but I have seen some brutally burnt up coax in my time !! They may not be the best mobile antenna's in the world , but they have got to be the Timex of cb radio antennas !!!

antenna

I have both the 1000 and the 5000. I agree that is no difference in TX or RX. Its best to upgrade the coax on the 1000 no matter what you run. At the very least you need to change the cheap PL259 on the 1000. As everybody says more watts then get the 5000. For the slight difference in price, the 5000 is the way to go. Best skip talking antennas on the market IMO.I never believe the manufacturers claim on what an antenna will take.
I have ran several 10Ks,Mr Coily and a few others, but went back to Wilson. Just my opinion.

I currently run a 1000, and out of all the ants I have run I like the wilsons. I can go crashing through the trees and not have to worry about messing it up. I would like to try a 10k, but I take the mobiles out in the woods to much, I am afrais that I might screw up the 10k, or the roof on the car.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.