• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 short Load antenna

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Good evening Radio friends, Well I have a Wilson 1000 and I love the performance of it.unfortunately it is not parking garage friendly, so I have been looking at the replacement short Load antenna that is made to replace the 62 inch whip, has anyone used it and does the performance suffer, I use a Ranger2950Dx and I am curious what if any difference I might notice, any comments would be appreciated and thank you in advance, 73's and God Bless!!

It is not going to do as well as the standard whip...

Yes the performance suffers and massively so. Effectively it works as a function of the square so if you electrically halve the length of an antenna you reduce your outgoing and received signal by 6dB or four times. So instead of having an effective radiated power of 4W with a whip of X length you'd have an effective radiated power of 1W with a whip of X/2 length.

The loading coil will mitigate this to some extent but it'll still suffer and noticeably so.

If you changed to a Sirio 4000 or 5000 the whip on those can take some real serious bending and still spring back straight.

The whip on my Little Tarheel II is from a Sirio Performer 5000. As you can see it bends over quite a lot. I've done this many times and its still as straight as a die. For reference from the bottom of the whip to where it went horizontal is 2ft.

l2NJxILm.jpg

I'm sure the wilson 1000 whip will take as much bending as a sirio.. I pull out of my garage and bend the antenna about 15" up from the coil so it's parallel with the ground daily. then I bend it back in the opposite direction in the exact same spot pulling in. hasn't snapped off yet in 16 years.

Good evening Radio friends, Well I have a Wilson 1000 and I love the performance of it.unfortunately it is not parking garage friendly, so I have been looking at the replacement short Load antenna that is made to replace the 62 inch whip, has anyone used it and does the performance suffer, I use a Ranger2950Dx and I am curious what if any difference I might notice, any comments would be appreciated and thank you in advance, 73's and God Bless!!

Do you mind getting out before you go into the garage? I just unscrew my wilson when I go into a parking garage?

Or is this your home/condo building garage?

I used to live in a condo with underground parking and I put a whip with a quick disconnect on my truck. Also the sirio 5000 has a adjustable angle knob on it. You could just angle it back a bit.

Also seen people use a actuator on a ham antenna, pretty cool. I think there is a thread somewhere here about that.

I've seen the large servo type electric antenna fold down devices as well for smaller antennas of maybe 3-4 ft max and not a large loading coil. They are neat. Would be cool if someone could come up with a design to electrically fold down antenna via say Bluetooth. Or even a simple up/down switch like on the screwdriver antennas. Just need a proper antenna to do it with. And some HD servo motors. It could be done, but I don't think it would be worth it for a large antenna like a 102" whip or such. Just too much weight to move and lock into position. JMHO about that. The sirio performer is pretty easy to lean back or fold over. Just turn the handle and lay it down. Doesn't take long at all. Easier than u screwing the entire base coil that is for sure.

I know a few people who tried the short load Wilson 1000........they ran them for a week and then it was back to the 62" whip.

Last edited:
Well after seeing all of the comments ,I have decided that I am going to leave the antenna as is and not waste $25.00 for the short Load antenna, thanks again for your comments:)!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.