• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wireless

Hc714

Apr 6, 2005
peanut state
Ok,after waiting on the cable company to finish its upgrades, I now find out that they will not provide me with internet access. They claim I'm 500 feet off the road. This is true but they provide cable tv and it works pretty good. Thought if they serviced you and then offered servicies to others in the area they would have to do whatever to provide me, but alas no. Stilll think its discrimination. So what I want to do is get it installed at my pops house, he is with in the distance requirement. Then would like to install awireless router at his house and receive it at my house. The distance between the two houses is about 1200 feet. Any one know of a router and reciever that would work for this. Thought I was going to get out of the stone age. Phone company is probabbly a year or more away from being able to provide DSL. Dial-up really sucks. So am open to most suggestions just don't want the expense of satilite. So what can I do?

Get a Linksys or similar router that lets you take off the stock antennas and install an external antenna. There are a number of companies making external antennas that you can install outside on the wall or roof eve. If you can't get on from your house after that, you'll probably want to get another router and antenna on your side and set it up as a bridge. You'll be all set to go.

Cool, thanks Mole was not sure if that distance was too far. I remember reading about the can-tenna thing and did not want to try and build my own little dishes out of coffee cans. So if the one router does not work there is a way to link two to make the distance thing better, good to know. I will search around for someone in my area who can help me with this. Again thanks and hope to be up to speed soon..................

I think you'll find that routers commonly available to the public market are not going to get even close to the range you require. With most routers, cutting the stated range in half is a much more realistic figure, if you can get that.
Something else to think about is that if there are any 'receivers' between you and that router (neighbors) they'll have a shot at using your connection too. They may not be able to access your connection, but they can certainly cause a slow down from trying. This is so much fun, isn't it?!
- 'Doc

i dont inderstand why not

if you have the cable tv to your house as well as phone, why cant they just feed the signal through those wires?

i dont inderstand why not

if you have the cable tv to your house as well as phone, why cant they just feed the signal through those wires?

Exactly what I was thinking. It's all fed in on the same piece of copper (or fiber) so I would ask them what the problem is. 500 feet is not a problem at all.

500 feet is nothing. That is pretty lame. BTW, they also make yagi antennas for 802.11 that you can install on both sides if you need to go that route. They're a pain to align, but it would work. Just realize that you're going to need some antennas with serious gain and it's going to be an effort to get going.

I think you'll find that routers commonly available to the public market are not going to get even close to the range you require. With most routers, cutting the stated range in half is a much more realistic figure, if you can get that.
Something else to think about is that if there are any 'receivers' between you and that router (neighbors) they'll have a shot at using your connection too. They may not be able to access your connection, but they can certainly cause a slow down from trying. This is so much fun, isn't it?!
- 'Doc

But signal boosters are readily available on the public market. we use them alot when installing hotel and municipal wifi.

Forget the consumer grade junk and get something comercial. There is a company called deliberant that makes some great wireless radios with built in directional antennas. They make a high power indoor wireless router that I would recomend you put up and your pops house. You then need one their CPEs with a built in directional antenna. You can mount the CPE unit outside and get it up in the clear and aim it at your pops house. The CPE units are powered over ethernet cable so thats all you have to do is run an ethernet cable to it. You would need to locate the router at your pops house as high as possible. here is the CPE http://www.deliberant.com/landing/product.aspx?productid=1285
and here is the router http://www.deliberant.com/landing/product.aspx?productid=1281
I dont realy care for anything made by linksys. Their quality is very poor for the price IMVHO. Consumer grade routers also only put out about 100mW so distance is very limited. Seting up these units is very easy and I can guide you if needed.

Something else to think about is that if there are any 'receivers' between you and that router (neighbors) they'll have a shot at using your connection too. They may not be able to access your connection, but they can certainly cause a slow down from trying.

You use a WEP password, 26 characters long using alpha and numeric.

And it's best to use it.

I come across all sorts of unsecured wireless and all I'd have to do to most would be, put the router addy in the address bar, leave the user name blank and put "admin" in the password .

Then activate WEP 13 or 26 and take over their internet, locking them out.

Never did it, never will. But that makes me secure the wireless here.

Using an Linksys WRT54GL with Tibor software, 250 mW output into an homemade 15 dBi antenna at 30 feet over ground lets me work my router up to 4 miles away
Using MAC adres filtering and changed login details is standard.
Checking all the time how many people try to login my "unprotected" network is fun, router sends an notice when that happens.

Was wardriving 7 years back when it fun.
Even after all warnings it is fun to see on my lappie with the outdoor antenna connected that 14 from the 49 AP's i can recieve here are fully open with standard passwords and all.

And yes, there are some professional businesses in that range too....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.