• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wolf radio antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holdem5 said:
My bad I guess I assumed he was talking about the .64, I guess I should pay closer attention.

That’s right I was talking about the P-50 in that post.

But getting back to the Point 64, I have made some significant improvements in that antenna as well. I now use solid fiberglass rods as the spacing insulators in the bottom and top coils instead of Delrin. This has greatly improved the strength and longevity of the antenna. The gamma match now uses a Teflon dielectric which has increased the power handling to 2000 + watts.

I would like to take this opportunity to say to the people who own the older versions of the P-64, if you have any problems with the top insulator or gamma match to contact me for the upgraded parts. Free of charge.

Marconi, the base section of the NEW P-50 WILL interchange with the version you have. If you are interested in upgrading yours let me know.

Wolf

Thanks anyway Eddie, my P50 works fine and is strong enough. If something could fix my ability to get the tap point near 50 ohms of resistance and zero reactance at the same frequency then that would be great as long as it is not ground losses making the antenna look matched. I would jump on that. But since the antenna needs something to work against I figure I will have to live with it using the feed line and the mast to get that done or get your .64.

Thanks anyway, I like the big signal it makes.

WolfRadio.com said:
Marconi said:
Believe me it is very well constructed, and as I said, Eddie uses only the best parts in his kits. Problem with this one is that it is unpredictable as to tune at one height and then moving to another.

I have long since improved the height sensitivity problem with the P-50. Just recently I have been working to improve the physical strength, (where the 1st section connects to the sleeve) and power handling. The new dielectric is now Teflon/epoxy and there is a one-inch diameter solid fiberglass rod that intersects the union of the sleeve and 1st section making it almost indestructible. I have a few more tests to run and I will be ready to release the improved version. Marconi, you are correct in that the changing length of the counterpoise below the antenna affects the match along with the changing height above ground. Antennas of this nature (without radials) are more susceptible to this problem.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum, Ed
Welcome to the forum!!!!Keep up the good work with those antennas!!! :)

Hey Novakor!!

Hey Stu,

...thanks for turning me on to the 'Wolf'!

I'm looking at ordering a Point-64 from Eddie as soon as that big check comes in, a few weeks from now.

I recommend you try one also - I know I know, I was a skeptic at first but after #%@*&*ing at his design while wading into the deep end of the ARRL antenna handbook ...I'm now even more confused...

J/K

- It does make sense and I believe I am going to be the first on my block!

BTW, I have a neighbor who just ordered an I-10K and who is 2 miles from me but at the same elevation, so I'll get back out here and post the semi-scientific results once we both get our new 5/8s up and tested/compared, (Both with new LMR-400).

I'm currently running the good old Hy-Gain Penetrator, think I'll see an improvement? - Either way it will be fun!

Should be within 3-5 weeks - I hope.
- JAFO

An update to a previous post in this thread :!:
Semi-long
Monday I was finally able to get some help to install a P64 for Jim, CDX-44. For those of you who don't know Jim. He is blind and disabled and a real character :LOL: . Just ask bcrewcaptain, he's had the oppurtunity to meet Jim. Radio is one of the things he enjoys most out of life.

I still need to go back and attach a ground wire. :roll: We ran out'a daylight so it was literally completely dark :shock: by the time the two guys and myself finished torking down the u-bolts on the mount and got our crazy butts down off of that roof. I made Jim a similar mount like mine made out of a piece of I-beam. community.webshots.com/photo/102491726/102493238jAnMTK
Mine is chained to the topped out part of an Oak tree, his is chained to the chimmney on the second story of his home. Jim has asked that I act as a proxy for him and report his findings and impressions. Jim indicates that the antenna is much quieter and therefore "hears" alot better than the Imax 2000 he was using. He said he expected this with an all metal antenna. ;) He has made some local contacts (approx. 50 miles south, which is good here in the mtn.s) with individuals he had not heard or QSO'ed with previously. He also indicates that he gained +3 s units in strength with one of his previous logged regular contacts. :D One of his contacts who was expecting a QSO with Jim on the new antenna indicated he immediately knew Jim was using the new antenna, before Jim could ask for a comparison based on previous contacts :eek: . Jim is pleased with his new antenna. :D He now wants some conDX to kick in so he can put it to even better use. :p If you hear CDX-44 in DX-Land give him a shout so he can hit ya with some RF from VA ;) ;) :LOL:

73's

Wayne C.

Well Wayne when the conditions do return, I'm sure I will be able to hear Jim here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. VA is always strong into this area. Tell Jim good luck and don't get too impatient. We still have a while to wait before things get back to good in our radios. You know what I mean?

When I get that new coil from Eddie I might put that P50 up also. I have some radial material here that will even allow me to make it a real ground plane just like Wolf mentioned. I will try that again also. Either way I like that old P50, it has a strong signal at least and I can live with a little SWR in the 2.0:1 or lower range just fine.

Eddie

EDUK8TR said:
...He also indicates that he gained +3 s units in strength with one of his previous logged regular contacts. :D
WOW, +3 S-units! - At 5dB per S-unit that's right about +15dB over his IMAX ...!!!

That also equates to approximately 34 times the Effective Radiated Power over an IMAX!!

Now, I would expect either that specific contact is far enough away to take advantage of a much lower radiation angle which shows the WOLF P-64 to be a much more effective ground wave antenna than the IMAX, or there was a problem with the IMAX.

Problem with an IMAX? What can hap'n to an IMAX? It's just a piece of hollow fiberglass with a copper wire above an inductive match.
I could imagine the IMAX may have had a fried matching network IF he was really warming it up, but his SWR would've been high and I expect that point would've been mentioned, - this is very encouraging!

In a test I ran a few years ago with a 'good performing Antron99' (<-- oxymoron?) which I switched out for an IMAX, same coax, same day (within 30 minutes) same radio / power / height, etc... to Stu who was only 500' away and 3 others in the Reno area, - I saw +2 S-units on receive and they all saw exactly the same on my signal, +2 S-units.

The IMAX 2000 proved to be a much more efficient radiator than the Antron99, now add to this an additional +3 S-units over the IMAX and the WOLF P-64 appears to offer about TWENTY-FIVE dB OVER AN Antron99 or ~340 TIMES THE RADIATED POWER!!!!

--> This means at the legal power level of 12w pep from an Antron99 your perceived signal should increase to the equivalent strength of over 4Kw when using the WOLF P-64 - What are you Antron99 owners waiting for???????

I'm sure anxious to get one and test it against my Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 from which I saw +3.5 S-units gain over an Antron99.

Oh great, I bet the waiting time lag for the Wolf-P64 just doubled. Thanks for the update! I guess I better get MY order in ASAP.
-

PS, I helped a friend, Jimmy, erect a Maco v-5/8 on the opposite end of his house from his Antron99, same height and with the same type and length of coax.
Through his B&W switchbox he can switch back and forth, and on the Maco V-5/8 he sees right at +2 S-units gain over the Antron99 in all directions on his Kenwood TS-930S.

I gained +1.5 S-units on the Penetrator500 when I tested it 2 months ago against the weaker Maco V-5/8.

- Testing is fun.

JAFO said:
WOW, +3 S-units! - At 5dB per S-unit that's right about +15dB over his IMAX ...!!!

First, there is no standard of dB's to S-units, all radios are different. Second, there is no way anyone would get that kind of increase (15db) by switching omni's. I have personally measured differences to a max of 5 dB's on one station switching from a A-99 to a P-64. Typically one could expect around 2-3 dB's improvement.

Come on Scott, you no better than that. Lets keep it real.

Wolf

WolfRadio.com said:
JAFO said:

First, there is no standard of dB's to S-units, all radios are different. Second, there is no way anyone would get that kind of increase (15db) by switching omni's. I have personally measured differences to a max of 5 dB's on one station switching from a A-99 to a P-64. Typically one could expect around 2-3 dB's improvement.

Come on Scott, you no better than that. Lets keep it real.

Wolf

Whoa, ease up a bit.

I replied to a positive post in a positive way, but not to get grenades lobbed over my way by the guy who's product I'm giving kudos...
Am I missing something here?
Eddie, we all have bad days, and my apologies to you and anyone else here on the forum if I've come across with maybe too much enthusiasm, but I fear I have been misread.

I was in no way being sarcastic nor facetious here, so please, lob no more grenades my way as I'm truly jazzed about your design Eddie - it's the only NEW idea in antennas to come along in decades and if it performs anywhere near your claims it should outperform even my trusty old Penetrator, and for that I AM excited about getting one.

And further, I'll offer a crisp $100 bill to the first person who can come within 2 s-units of my Penetrator using an Antron99, radials or not, metered on both ends by a Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood analog meter, all things being equal and consistent, and at a distance of 45 miles or more.
Eddie, that's what I'm referring to and what I believe his earlier post was about with regard to the 3 S-unit increase from the IMAX to the P-64, --> long-range ground-wave due to the fact that is where it really shows an antenna's capabilities.

Why am I telling YOU this? You already know it's true. Possibly you thought I was referring to near-field testing which I believe proves nothing, it takes real-world conditions to bring out the best (or worst) in an antenna, and I have no problem with expecting a lot of gain over an Antron99.

I have personally seen a station's signal increase from a weak S-5 to a solid S-9 on a Yaesu FT-107M meter merely by his switching out his Antron99 to a Sigma 5/8.
He was about 60-70 miles away and at about 2600' elevation in the mountains above my humble, 150' above sea level elevation.

So, again, my apologies if I misled anyone to believe I was in any way insincere!

Eddie, I'm expecting good things from your P-64 as I wouldn't drop that level of coin on an omni if I weren't convinced it bore serious promise.
Let's get some more field test reports posted as that's where the real story is, and Stu, feel free to post if you recall the test we did with the Antron99 against the IMAX about 3 years ago.

Eddie, 73 & chill Bro, I'm on YOUR side AND a little surprised you took me so wrong and jumped my 'chit' as I had thought we shared a kind of kinship from having led such similar radio lives since we were young teenagers.
You've obviously done your homework with regard to your P-64 and that post a few posts back shows it.
- I don't doubt for a second that there would be as much as 3 S-units gain from the radialless IMAX to your P-64, especially at a distance where the lower radiation angle will always win hands-down!

Peace.

Great post JAFO and yes i do recall are test between the A99 and the Imax 2000 a solid +2 s unit on both RX & TX. The test seemed to be conclusive on my TS-930 as well as several others here locally.

Hey and as far as your post goes i enjoyed reading it and didn't see anything wrong with it,certainly a positive post for WolfAntenna.But i may be the wrong person to back you up as i am in HOT water for speaking my peace earlier this week.

Life goes on :p ..................................73,Stu

Jafo, you report the following.
I have personally seen a station's signal increase from a weak S-5 to a solid S-9 on a Yaesu FT-107M meter merely by his switching out his Antron99 to a Sigma 5/8.
He was about 60-70 miles away and at about 2600' elevation in the mountains above my humble, 150' above sea level elevation.

I think Eddie was maybe questioning this significant difference simply in changing between antennas. Did you find that test remarkable when you did it and did you consider any other possibilities causing the results? At 60-70 miles, to me alone that is a remarkable signal. I'm not saying either that you did not see it, because for sure I was not there and you were, but didn't you think that was really unbelievable even for one moment. What if the guy turned on an amp during that test. How could you be positively sure that did not happen 70 miles away? I have never seen such remarkable differences, just in switching antennas.

Just curious.

Hello Marconi.
That was actually not a test, it was a guy who was always using a Skipper300 and we were used to his consistent signal (S-5) from a mountain community rather distant for many of us.
He liked to be the 'big dog' in his area.
Next thing we knew he was S-9 and really wreaking havoc with the locals.
I puffed up my pride (Johnson Viking Courier) pointed the homebrew Quad and got his attention - he clarified that he had just replaced his Antron99 which fell in the wind due to a broken guy wire, with a Sigma 5/8 and a new mast at the same height but had not changed anything else.
He was a consistent S-9 after that and continued to hammer us locally so several of us moved frequency.
This got the attention of a couple of the local guys with A-99s who then replaced them with 5/8 Spectrum 1600s (which were growing in popularity at the time, about 12-15 years ago) and they all saw BIG improvements in performance. The Spectrum seemed to perform real well but also seemed a little chincey in it's construction - especially it's mounting system.

When I originally tried the new 9.9dB gain whizbang fiberglass A-99 back in the '80s, I lost an average of 3.5 S-units on my Johnson 223 meter, which was more like a piece of test equipment.
I thought I had a bad one, returned it and wasted another day trying a 2nd one only to see the same results. Returned it for a refund and put the Penetrator back up.
Around here they became known as the 18' dummy load.

When I got back into radio after relocating to Reno, I was given an A-99 and simply put it at the rear of the house on a short pole which was part of the concrete stairs at the back door. It worked alright but when I got an IMAX 2000 as part of a swap I did the test with Stu and 3 others in the Reno area and saw +2 S-units over the Antron.

Yeah, I think Eddie may have thought I was being tongue-in-cheek, or possibly just misinterpreted my meaning. No biggie, it just caught me off-guard.
I like the idea of being able to say "I'm talking on a Wolf", that's a cool name he came up with and believe me, when it arrives I'll have a host of signal reports logged to use as comparisons.

At $190 shipped it may not be cheap, but what is - that's worth having?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.