• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Worst States for Auto-Deer Crashes

Unit 194

Feb 25, 2006
New Jersey
Insurance survey finds wrecks are up 6%; costs up too.

POSTED: 5:36 p.m. EST, November 14, 2006

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Drivers smashing into deer on U.S. roads is an increasing, costly and dangerous problem, according to an insurance survey released Tuesday.

Deer-related car crashes, including wrecks involving elk and moose, are up almost six percent compared to last year's deer season, according to the report by State Farm Insurance.

Deer collisions become more frequent during fall and winter due to deer migration and mating season, which typically occur from October through December.

About 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions happen each year in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Those accidents cause about 150 deaths and $1.1 billion in property damage annually, according to NHTSA.

State Farm policy holders were involved in 192,877 deer-related collisions this year versus 182,458 last year. The average property damage cost was $2,800, $300 more than last year, State Farm said.

Increasing deer populations and the encroachment of urban sprawl into the deer's natural habitat have added to the risk, according to State Farm.

State Farm advises motorists to be aware of "Deer crossing" signs. Drivers should also use high-beam headlights as much as possible and be aware that deer tend to travel in packs. Where there is one, more are probably close behind.

"Deer whistles," devices that attach to the vehicles' front bumpers, have been shown to be ineffective, State Farm said.

Some states have far more deer collisions than others. According to State Farm's claim statistics, the 10 states with the most deer crashes between June 1, 2005 and June 30, 2006 account for more than half of all such claims.

1. Pennsylvania
2. Michigan
3. Illinois
4. Ohio
5. Georgia
6. Virginia
7. Minnesota
8. Texas
9. Indiana
10. South Carolina
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drive carefully..............

I am not surprised to see Pa top on the list

when visiting my cousin in Pa
just driving up his driveway (some 325 feet long)
we had to wait for 3 dear to cross before we could get to end of driveway....
i was able to go in the woods to watch them
though they kept watch on me too (since there was a fawn with them)

Years ago
I almost hit a dear in northern nj
slammed the brakes and i missed the dear
But
another dear then came running out in the road
(even though i was already stopped in a black car)
then i watched as the dear tried and tried to stop
(its hoffs were sparking as it tried to stop)
and then
Wham....the dear hit my door right where i was sitting
it fell down...got back up.....shoke its head and antlers
(looked at me with a filfy look)
then jumped away to other side of road back into the woods

Darn dear had put a huge dent in my drivers door
is ok,the dear was just fine

just thought it funny

d

Your meat would already be tenderized. ROFLMAO!!
More like, pulverized.
I hit a deer with the big truck last year, my first in 20 years of trucking. Almost cut the buck in half. The driver behind me said he saw a leg fly through the air and land about 100ft away.

LoneWolf TN

Diesel007 said:
I cant believe Maine isnt on there!! We have alot of deer hittings here too. we also have ALOT of moose hittings!!!

I just got back from New Hampshire/Maine last night. The other night we were cruising into Bangor on the I-95 just north of Pittsfield and the car directly in front of us hit a deer. I swerved to avoid both him and the deer in the road.It was too close for my liking,the hair was still suspended in the air as I went by. The driver was shaken up and had a smashed grill,bumper,and light assembly. He was luckly. All along that road we saw eyes glowing in the dark.Kind of creepy and unnerving.

We definately have deer on the roads here in Pa. I hit one a few years ago. Last Sat. night a motorcycle hit one near here. I had 2 come out while on the motorcycle. The rut time is bad for driving at night. The bucks get stupid in the head and the does try to run from them.

QRN, I didnt realize you were coming to Maine. I live about 45 miles north of Bangor in a small town caled Lincoln. There are alot of deer out there on I-95 everynight. What were you doing in Maine?? Vacation??

Hi Diesel. We were just there for a few days of shopping in Bangor,Freeport and Kittery as well as North Conway, New Hampshire with a little side trip to Salem, New Hampshire to go to the Ham Radio Outlet there. ;) I picked up a Yaesu FC-40 auto tuner to go with my FT-857 in the mobile. 8) I have been through Lincoln a few times but not in the last dozen years. I usually take the #9 but I have taken the # 6 a few times and crossed at Vanceboro into McAdam New Brunswick.Despite the kids bickering, the five days on the road must have been worth it.The wife is already talking about going back for a longer trip this summer. :shock: I don't think she will let me enter the Salem, New Hampshire area again next time however. :LOL: We just may take the #6 next time. Customs seems to be a bit more lax coming back home up there. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.