• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Would like to add a small HF yagi and 2 meter vertical yagi to my current setup.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
More interested in Amateur HF and 2 meter VHF for local talking than CB these days. As you can see from my picture I have a Sirio SY27-3 and a Imax 2000.
It would be nice to keep the Sirio yagi up for CB dx but not sure if my tower/mast is robust enough to handle 2 yagis and a Vhf yagi at the top.
My Ham 3 rotor is tower mounted so that should be able to handle a bit more wind load.
The Imax 2000 would be taken down and sold or stored away for a backup antenna.

For a 2 meter yagi I'm looking at the Cushcraft A14810S
Cushcraft 2M Wideband Yagi Beam Antennas A14810S - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

For an HF yagi I'm looking at a Cushcraft MA5B.
Cushcraft HF Beam Antennas MA5B - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

Or the

Mosley TA-33-JR-N
Mosley Electronics | HF Amateur Radio Antenna

The price of the Mosley is around the same as the MA5B. I like the Mosley a bit more over the MA5B. The only thing I like about the MA5B is the ability to work the WARC bands with the antenna. Mosley makes a WARC version of the above listed model as well but the price is increased by a hundred + dollars for the added bands.

I have also thought of buying a HF multiband rotatable dipole that would work for at least 10,15, and 20 meters. The costs of rotatable dipoles are expensive and I feel you are not getting the most for your money going that route.

Attachments

• 182822_4172171081922_848995836_n.jpg
    182822_4172171081922_848995836_n.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 288

I've no experience with that Cushcraft beam but for some reason I think I'd rather have the Mosley.
As for your tower, I think it you put those antennas on it you would do very well to guy it (didn't see any).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

FWI, Both of those antennas are rated @ 1200 watts,......

measured the old way, sooooo, that's about 600 watts antenna INPUT

FWI, Both of those antennas are rated @ 1200 watts,......

measured the old way, sooooo, that's about 600 watts antenna INPUT

Antennas were always rated at what they would handle for power delivered to the feedpoint. There is no other way to do it. Radios and amps used to be rated at DC input instead of RF output but antennas can't be rated that way.

The Mosley performance numbers are better than the Cushcraft and your tower can definitely support the bigger antenna. One option you didn't mention is a hex beam - I think that's definitely worth looking at.

I've talked to a few locals that have used that VHF yagi - if you have the means to put it up, I don't think you'll be disappointed in its performance.

I hang out on 17 meters alot ...I hear many,I mean many folks running the hex beam, they all really like the antenna,and can get it for any bands or combo of bands from 20 to 6 meters from what I understand...I could be wrong on the band coverage though...please correct if wrong

The Mosley performance numbers are better than the Cushcraft and your tower can definitely support the bigger antenna. One option you didn't mention is a hex beam - I think that's definitely worth looking at.

I've talked to a few locals that have used that VHF yagi - if you have the means to put it up, I don't think you'll be disappointed in its performance.

I have looked at the Hex Beam. The one made by KIO for example.
What is the polarity of the TX signal off of a hex beam? Vertical or Horizontal?
The Hex Beam looks very funny and I guess it would take some getting used to. I have never seen a Hex Beam in the air in person so maybe from a distance it wouldn't be that noticeable. I hate having to explain to my neighbors what the antennas are for ect.

Where I live the snow and ice can be heavy. I see Kio offers a kit to help protect against damage from snow and ice.
I like the fact that the Hex beam has gain on all the bands instead of the others listed above that are only a rotatable dipole on 12 and 17 meters.
The reviews on Eham.com for the KIO is very good also.

If I were to get a Hex beam I would worry that I couldn't mount a VHF 2 meter yagi on my tower with it. I guess I would have to try and mount the 2 meter yagi under the Hex beam. Not sure if doing that would mess with the performance of either antenna or not.

Another question. Could the Hex Beam, KIO version for example be used as a CB antenna?
Since you can buy one form him that covers 20-6 meters I would have to think it would work on 11 meters with a antenna tuner if needed. No way to tell how it would perform although I have used my Sirio SY27-3 CB yagi on 12 meters with a antenna tuner and have made it to Germany. I know dumb question to worry about CB, but I still enjoy shooting 11 meter DX from time to time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.