• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTB: Uniden 980 ssb

Coondog27

Sep 29, 2016
New guy getting back into Cb radio. Looking to try my hand on SSb and would like to purchase a uniden 980. Used is fine as long as you guarantee that it is functional and sound shape. Would pay paypal. Can get them from eBay for around a $100 new, so I'd like to spend maybe some less. Can text me with pictures 763 33one 147zero. Thanks for looking, waiting to see what you have. Thank you.

Reactions: 2RT307

New guy getting back into Cb radio. Looking to try my hand on SSb and would like to purchase a uniden 980. Used is fine as long as you guarantee that it is functional and sound shape. Would pay paypal. Can get them from eBay for around a $100 new, so I'd like to spend maybe some less. Can text me with pictures 763 33one 147zero. Thanks for looking, waiting to see what you have. Thank you.

Amazon sells them cheaper than that. I bought one for $85.00. Link in to Amazon and support this site.

That is incredibly cheap! I had no idea the price was so low on these. Just curious how you like yours?

Brett
I like it just fine except for that damned annoying beep you get every time you change the channel, or change any setting.(I haven't opened it up to fix that yet) I have been a CB'er for 48 years and an Amateur Radio Operator for only three years so I still have an interest and use CB radios when ever I go on road trips. My car/truck looks like a porcupine on the road.

Reactions: Coondog27
I have found that by lowering the power on AM to about 2 watt dead key with 8 watts pep and about the same on SSB 8-10 watts pep max, that the radio stay cooler. Thought there was some mention about bias voltages being too high from the factory as well although I could be wrong. Member Grogan I believe added a small fan to his and has not has any issues with a burning up the final. Heat and bad VSWR are the 2 biggest enemy's of that final! They are just a weak final for sure. But there are things that came be done to cure this. If it were me Coondog27 I would just buy a brand new one with the warranty and this way if you have issues you can return it or get it fixed under warranty. Not that much more for a brand new one. You won't find a better CB/SSB radio that is brand new and pretty well dead on frequency out of the box on SSB as well for the same amount of money. $100 shipped or less is a great deal for that radio. The beep mod is very simple and just requires the removal of a small part. If you take your time can be done with an exacto knife. But it's small!! And lowering the dead key and adjusting the modulation isn't hard either with the proper equipment. A decent watt meter and a 50ohm dummy load go a long way!! Anyhow. JMO, but I would just bite the bullet and get a new uniden 980. That is JMHO. Best radio for a starter one and won't break the bank!!

I ended up with one for $120 from a shop. New, with warranty. I'll have to check out the beeper mod and lower the noise, seems to be the biggest complaint.

Not that I kmow of unless they have changed the circuit and added that ratsoW8. The beep loudness that is. It's still there even when you remove the resistor, but it's not loud at all! Just barely loud enough to hear. Works great the mod does. Plenty of vids showing how to do it as well. And steer clear of the clarifier mod that shows a wire being cut. It's not the right way to do it on this radio. I am pretty sure I also correct in saying this. Although I am not a tech!!

" New guy getting back into Cb radio. Looking to try my hand on SSb and would like to purchase a uniden 980. Used is fine as long as you guarantee that it is functional and sound shape. Would pay paypal. Can get them from eBay for around a $100 new, so I'd like to spend maybe some less. Can text me with pictures 763 33one 147zero. Thanks for looking, waiting to see what you have. Thank you."

To be honest as cheap as these radio's are I would just buy a new one off amazon. If you have a specific need for the radio to have a lowered dead key then buy from a good cb shop and have them tune it. Other option would be used on E-Bay or watch the sales section here for several months.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.