• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wwv receiver?

I have an old realistic TimeKube. It works okay but these days it really needs an external antenna. I have a collection of the various Realistic "Kube" radios.
Deskubes.jpg

Attachments

• timekube.jpg
    timekube.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 316
Hi Hurricane 145 - I also have one them 1970's Time Kubes, (as the one pictured at top center) got it in 1977, but the 3 switch's are getting bad. Had it apart and clean them the best I could, but they are getttiing worn out.

Hi Hurricane 145 - I also have one them 1970's Time Kubes, (as the one pictured at top center) got it in 1977, but the 3 switch's are getting bad. Had it apart and clean them the best I could, but they are getttiing worn out.
If you religiously watch for them on ebay, sometimes they show up real cheap as a non working parts only sale.

When i have some free time I want to build a clock using one of those surplus rubidium oscillators you can find on ebay.

That would be the epitome of overkill for bedside alarm clock but it would be a neat build.

Wow nice collection. Why the need for external antenna, is it because of all the crap RFI in homes today due to cheap asian switching power supplies etc?

Since those external antennas are actually internal to the place the radio is located wouldn't they pick up "all the crap RFI in homes today due to cheap asian switching power supplies etc?" You would need a truly outside antenna located far from the house to accomplish what you suggest.

Signal strength just isn't that great these days propagation being what it is. The pull up antenna just isn't all that much for WWV. It has a plug in on the back for an external antenna. With the pull up antenna it is weird. I found that if I lay the receiver down on the floor so that the pull up antenna is laying on the floor, the signal comes up a fair amount and I can hear WWV.
The others for AM, FM and weather all do just fine sitting on the desk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.