• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

XForce 400HD

JayBo

Nov 30, 2013
Just purchased a new XForce 400 HD. Would sure appreciate someone explaining this text to me so I can comprehend it (Simple Terms). I am an older hand but just can`t wrap my gourd around this...

text from paperwork shopped with amp...

400HD..4x2879,Class C bias, fan cooled.Max amp draw 110a, install recommended with 4ga wire and 125a fuse. (Max input carrier of 20w or"300w from amp"). Max peak input 240 w.

If it has no driver, why is it only 20 max dead key allowed from radio. Any advice much appreciated...Jim

It's the way it's attenuated. Must only have enough (padding) for 20w carrier. What radio are you running with it, or are you trying to use a small driver in front of the amp?? JMO, but I would have spent the extra money and had the amp at least biased b and ssb switch put in it. This is JMO, hopefully some others with the same amp can help a bit more, but basically what it's stating I think you already know, dead key max 20 watts, with a peak input of 240 watts into the amp.

20 watts is really pushing it. There is no attenuation or padding on that amps input. 4 transistors just don't need a lot of drive. More like 6-8 deadkey from the radio will get you where you need to be. Set your radio to get 150-200 deadkey from the amp and let it swing. A radio that does 40-50 pep works nice behind these amps.

I have a xforce 800hd and i key 60 watts in it which brings it to a 200 watt dead key and my bird shows around 1000 watts rms.You can key more than 20 watts in it,i wouldnt go over 50 watt dead key on yours cause after that you will loose audio.Hope this helps.

I have a xforce 800hd and i key 60 watts in it which brings it to a 200 watt dead key and my bird shows around 1000 watts rms.You can key more than 20 watts in it,i wouldnt go over 50 watt dead key on yours cause after that you will loose audio.Hope this helps.

Your 800hd is twice the size of his amp. The numbers you posted aren't right. Something is wrong with your setup or your watt meter.

Reactions: 2 people
Why would you say 1000 bird watts is not right. I would think those numbers would be accurate.

As for the 4 pill what do you need to know? The 300 watts is the max dead key from amp. But, I would key around 200 and swing up from there. The 240 max input is the max wattage you could drive the amp with. I wouldn't, but...

A 60w key should put you in the area of a 1200w carrier out the pipe, and then you'd be back swinging.

The 1000 watts out of the 8 pill isn't where I disagree. If he's putting 60 watts carrier into it and only seeing 200 out something isn't right. I don't want to get the topic off track by talking about other amps but the guy that says its safe to key more than 20 watts into a 4 pill is wrong. Xforce amps are marketed towards competition. The input specs are extreme for daily use. It won't last long if you drive it like that and try to have a conversation with someone.

Reactions: 1 person
Just purchased a new XForce 400 HD. Would sure appreciate someone explaining this text to me so I can comprehend it (Simple Terms). I am an older hand but just can`t wrap my gourd around this...

400HD..4x2879,Class C bias, fan cooled.Max amp draw 110a, install recommended with 4ga wire and 125a fuse. (Max input carrier of 20w or"300w from amp"). Max peak input 240 w.

If it has no driver, why is it only 20 max dead key allowed from radio. Any advice much appreciated...Jim

If you run the amp at or below the range they suggest it will last a long time. Something like an Omega Force HP set at 10 watts dead key swinging 70 will rock. What are you not understanding and what radio do you plan on running?

Just call Xforce and ask them. 847-561-4971 I'm certain they have the answer to your question. You'll get a lot of good advice here but if you want to know what the builder means by the specs provided you should ask him. If you tell him what your set-up is he'll tell you exactly how to run this amp...

Wow....60 watts into my 8pill should be 1200 watts huh?Well im not gonna sit here and tell you what your equitment does or doesnt do..What it boils down to is the input of the amp how its set up ect...Course im sure you already knew that??You can put more than 20watts into a 4pill reguardless.

Well the 400hd i have i have had since 2010 and nevet have blown it up.I agree with you on over driving will blow them cause they will..I key about 30 to 40 im mine and never have had a problem.I wouldnt go over that,and make sure your swr is no more than 1.2 you shou l d be fine.

Well the 400hd i have i have had since 2010 and nevet have blown it up.I agree with you on over driving will blow them cause they will..I key about 30 to 40 im mine and never have had a problem.I wouldnt go over that,and make sure your swr is no more than 1.2 you shou l d be fine.

Just call Xforce and ask them. 847-561-4971 I'm certain they have the answer to your question. You'll get a lot of good advice here but if you want to know what the builder means by the specs provided you should ask him. If you tell him what your set-up is he'll tell you exactly how to run this amp...

Why call them, they already included paper work with the amp explaining everything. This is what the sheet said,

"400HD..4x2879,Class C bias, fan cooled.Max amp draw 110a, install recommended with 4ga wire and 125a fuse. (Max input carrier of 20w or"300w from amp"). Max peak input 240 w."

That pretty much says it all really. I would prefer keeping the dead key in the range of 6-12 watt range and peak input under 120 watts. That's just me though.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.