• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU ft-897

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok I purchased one of these and should have it by Monday and was wondering if anyone on the forum here has used or uses one? I like all the extras that can be bought for these rigs and I already have the matching tuner coming aswell. I know this is pretty much the same rig as my wifes FT-857 which is indeed the mobile version of the FT-897. Any input on this radio is appreciated Im sure Ill like it and cant wait to mess with it but Im wondering what any of you think about it that have played with one.

Ive read the Eham Reviews and their all pretty good that Ive seen so far. I do know the menus of the 857D like the back of my hand so that shouldnt be a problem with this rig. It should be a fun rig on the field days and camping ;)

It should be a fun rig on the field days and camping
It is an excellent radio for just that, mine has been bounced around in the truck, hauled to the camp site, caught in thunderstorms, sat on the desk and worked DX just like a big rig and still keeps on ticking.
I run it with a LDG AT-200PRO Auto-tuner ( and sometimes a home brew 4:1 balun) at it is a great radio.
It has been back to Yaesu 1 time for repair due to my own stupidly, I pulled the desk apart, re-wired everything, and re-routed all my coax and switches one time.......I keyed another radio into my Ameritron , and had no output???
Keyed again, and smelled that un-godly frighting smell of magic smoke.
Could not figure out why at first, then started going over my coax, and found I have just shoved @ 200 watts into the front end of the 897.......:headbang
One trip to Yaesu, $$$$$$$ later and it is working just as well as ever.

Jeff

This radio is just like its little brother that my wife runs FT-857D simply an outstanding rige and as for me a breeze setting it up as Im quick with setting up Kims Yaesu FT-857D had great reports on it when using it which confirmed my theory of it also working as good as the 8578D.

Only thing I had to learn and study was the faceplate button and knob positioning as its laid out differnt than the 857D otherthan that no issues problems or brain smashers. I didnt even need to look at the manual. I ordered some extra cat cables lastnight so they should be here this week ;)

All In All so far I give this radio an A+ now time will tell if it holds that grade although from my experience with the 857D this radio will be just fine :)

Reactions: 1 person
I've heard good things about the FT-897. I have even thought of buying one.
But, the only downside for me, is the size of the display. All of the Yaesu HF
mobile rigs seem to have displays that are too small. That is why I bought a
Kenwood TS-480SAT. BIG display and easy to setup and use. Great in the
mobile too. I wish that Yaesu could come up with a mobile HF rig with an easy
to see display. I would jump on one if they did.
trucker

I love my FT-897. It's my primary base rig... It does a lot of things quite well.

I've thought about upgrading to an FT-950 a few times, but in my opinion one cannot beat the value that the 897 offers. It has so many great uses... it can be used stationary or even as a mobile. Yes, a mobile mounting bracket is available - but would look odd in my Civic.

I guess that's a different matter if one drives an SUV or Jeep.

Anyways, enjoy your new radio!!! I'm sure you'll love it!

Reactions: 1 person
I used one at field day a few years ago, it worked well. The only downside is the display size, but that is more of a personal preference and doesn't effect its performance. I liked the display on my FT100D better. It a good portable rig, personally I think its too large to be a great mobile rig, for that I prefer my IC 7000 or the Kenwood better.

The rig performs well I think you'll enjoy it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.