• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350: More lockup problems

Mike Mercury

Apr 23, 2010
NRA Life member
Lockup Issue Report

When I initially received my new FTM-350R mobile (and yes... it is a "blue dot" updated model) - I didn't do much programing; instead waiting for the software to be released.

I received the RT Systems software and USB cable last Tuesday and have slowly been adding functionality to the radio - in steps. This software really does an excellent job of understanding the functions of the FTM-350R; making memory channel entry & function setting a breeze.

Everything was working perfectly until I activated the weather ALERT function. Once that was set to function, everything was fine until I started a memory channel scan on the half of the radio that I had the weather ALERT activated on.

The radio started the memory channel scan by looking at my first memory channel - then the next channel it went to was the WX channel to look for the alert tone - and then was supposed to continue on and look at my second memory channel... and so on.

When it checked the wx channel the first time, the radio locked solid. None of the buttons or dials would work; the screen was stuck showing the the WX channel. The power-off button wouldn't even work; I had to resort to un-plugging the 12v source to the radio.

When I connected the power source back to the radio; it did power up - but hung on the VS logo. I had to do that "two button" reset procedure; which unfortunately wiped all my programing clean. Nice, though that I was able to transfer everything back via the RT Systems program.

I did some more testing and came to the conclusion that these three things had to occur inorder for the locking-up to happen;

On the Settings - Radio Menu Settings - DTMF/Internet/Weather tab screen

1. WX ALERT ON activated
2. all WX channels set to "off"; a value in the "Selected Channel" field... in my specific it was WX channel 3.
3. go back to the main channel screen & invoke memory channel scan - on the specific half of the radio where you have the alert function set for.

I contacted RT Systems with this info and they bricked two of their FTM-350Rs in a similar fashion. They then tried this on a radio - setting all these specifics via the front panel (absent of their software) and it also locked up.

For now, I am leaving the weather channel ALERT function disabled.

I did perform the MARS/CAP mod on my radio initially; I do not know if the RT Systems radios they tested this on did or did-not have the same mod.

If anyone finds their FTM-350R locked up and can't get it reset using the two-button procedure; email me for another way to un-brick your rig.

Mike Mercury Ham Radio Page

Last edited:

Can you go ahead and post the "other" procedure to un-brick it? Is it just disconnecting the power? I'm going to test this weather alert/scan lockup on my radio.

the scan SKIP flag issue (not to be confused with the WX ALERT lockup problem) has been fixed in the RT Systems software; just go under the HELP pulldown and select "Check for Updates" to get the update. I'm now showing on the ABOUT screen "4.01.22" version number

Can you go ahead and post the "other" procedure to un-brick it? Is it just disconnecting the power? I'm going to test this weather alert/scan lockup on my radio.

The regular reset is (as you prolly already know) is with the radio off... press & hold the button to the left of the orange button, and then also press the orange - holding them both in until the radio powers on (you'll get a unique screen with a couple of reset options).

On mine, the orange button also "froze". I couldn't shut the radio off using it; always hung at the VS logo. And as soon as I connected 12vdc to the radio, it would powerup on its own and stay stuck on the VS logo. So I tried holding in those two buttons while connecting 12vdc to the radio; it did powerup but still stuck at the VS logo... the special menu wouldn't appear (and this is one of the things the Yaesu Blue Dot update... not the RT systems update I mentioned earlier.... was supposed to do - and that was to allow you to reach the special function menu even if the radio totally froze). I was just about to box it up and send back to Yaesu when I discovered that if the radio had the MARS/CAP mod done... this hold-buttons-while-connecting-12vdc method would not work. I de-modded my radio and then was able to get to the special reset screen.

Last edited:
As soon as I installed my software it search and installed the update. It is so much nicer to be able the radio with my laptop. Life is so much easier.

UPDATE

I was just informed:

"The latest software came with a warning about the Wx channel problem, and said that one way to avoid it is to set 2 stations in memory. I guess this prevents the lock-up, but I have not tried it yet."

So if I'm understanding correctly, this is an RT Systems issue, not a Yaesu issue?

It seems to be a Yaesu issue since the lock-up has been replicated just using the radio for programming. RT Systems just has come up with a work around. I recieved the warning about the Wx lock-up and how tof ix it with my software I recieved last week. I'll scan and post the sheet tonight.

Thanks

Ray

RT systems arning

Attached is the warning.

Pretty cool that the let the users know.

Ray- N1LUL

Yes I know it is titled "bills"

Attachments

• bills 8-03005.pdf
    216.6 KB · Views: 463
Attached is the warning.

Pretty cool that the let the users know.

Ray- N1LUL

Yes I know it is titled "bills"

Same one I got with my Rt Software. I just dont do weather scan, especially since my radio has the mod and I dont want to try and un-mod it to fix a frozen radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.