• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-3 vs ICOM IC-R6 ?

CiloX

Sep 21, 2011
Hello all,

I just discovered this very nice forum.
I would like to buy a mini scanner to use around airports, and at home. I am an aircraft photographer.
I then would like to choose the most sensitive one in the 120-136 MHz area mainly, 230-400 MHz occasionnaly. Reading lot's of reviews, i still hesitate beteen the Yaesu VX-3 and ICOM IC-R6.

Regarding this, which one should be the most sensitive device ? (most important fact, of course)
Which one has best battery life (second important thing for me, should run all day long)
And which one is the most user friendly, and "bug free" device ?

I have found lot's of readings about the older Yaesu, but nearly nothing about the relatively new ICOM.

Thanks a lot for your comments,

Laurent from Belgium

If you're using it as a scanner/rx only, go with a dedicated scanner (the Icom). The scan function will be MUCH faster. Icom's specs indicate that model can do 100 channels per second! That Icom also advertises 15 hours of continuous RX, so battery life shouldn't be an issue. I would be very surprised if the VX-3 could do that. Regarding sensitivity, the two receiver specs are so close that I doubt you would notice any difference; you could always replace the antenna to get better performance.

If you want a transmit and receive radio, then you have other choices.

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, it is for reception only, and the 120-136 MHz area will be the one i listen most.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.