• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R As First Radio?

BubbaDX

Jul 4, 2009
www.venemousduckracing.com
I am currently studying for the ARRL Technician exam and I am looking for my first radio. I like the VX-8R and want to purchase one before I take the exam so I can start learning how to use it. Would this be a good first radio? If not, what radio should I look at?

I'll bite... I'm a noob at this though.

There probably is an easier radio to learn on, but if you want the 8r go for it. I learned on a 2m AA battery radio shack radio first which was pretty basic http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/425 but not very easy to use, and then got the opportunity to use a Kenwood D-710 for a while, which was really really simple and does a lot of cool stuff http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6871.

If you could get a loaner radio first that would be best. You may decide that you might like a mobile or base station better (which are much more powerful and can usually interface with a computer pretty easily), and can live with a (a lot cheaper) basic but still capable HT Kenwood TH-F6A Amateur Radio HT THF6. Look around the interweb and pick the price you are willing to pay and go from there. An HT for the first radio sounds cool because you can go hang out a the coffee shop while you figure out the HT and ham radio in general. What I am getting at is, if you get the 8R (pricey) you will be reluctant to get something else more powerful/features later because the 8R already took a chunk out of your wallet and does quite a bit (aprs, submersible...). In retrospect, I think I could do OK with a vx-6r/7r or the th-f6a HT and with the money I wouldn't have spent on the 8r (and all of the accessories) I would have got the kenwood d-710 mobile.

If you have your eye set on the 8r for some reason you should get it, but I don't think playing with it before your test is going to do much good. It could help, but don't wait for it, just take the test asap so you can start playing with any radio you can find.

-vvt

In my opinion, I guess it depends on what you're wanting to accomplish and also where you live. The reason I said "where you live" is because depending on your location, there may not be a bunch of repeaters that you can access. If there isn't a lot of local repeater activity, then a handheld may not be the best choice for your first radio. In most major cities however, there are a lot of repeaters, so this may not be an issue.

A lot of people like a handheld as their first radio because it lets them also use it as a scanner and monitor local police, fire, etc., and they can carry it around with them. However, the limited power and antenna are a huge compromise. You can find used mobile rigs, a used or cheap power supply, and put up a J-pole antenna for probably 1/2 the price of the VX-8.

However, if APRS appeals to you then this is a neat way to get into that. I would also think about one of the Icom D-Star handhelds if you've decided on this type of radio as your first. If there are D-Star repeaters in your area, this is also another way you can have fun and talk to people around the world on the internet linked D-Star system.

The reason I like the VX-8R is I could use it at home, in either of my 3 vehicles, or listen at my desk at work. Plus it seems to have a lot of features and functionality for an HT. I live about 20 miles south of St. Louis and there are a lot of repeaters in my area, including a 70 centimeter repeater in my town. But I am not locked into this particular radio, it just seems like a good radio and I read lots of good reviews on it.

That being said, some of the places I go with my Jeep it would be very nice to have a more powerful radio because I am not sure what will be around. Where do I find pertinent info on a J-Pole antennae? Google turns up a lot of different information.

If you want an HT, then the VX-8R is about as good as you can get. Simply loaded with the most features...

IMO, an HT is a staple piece of radio equipment for the radio amateur. However, many will not suggest this for the first radio because unless you really have a need for FM communications, you will get bored quickly. At least with the VX-8R, you have a decent broadband scanner that picks up broadcast as well as shortwave.

Too bad it does not have HF SSB, then you could get a good taste of what HF is all about. And that is where most of the fun really is!

When are they going to roll up an all mode QRP HF/VHF/UHF version of the VX-8R?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.