• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R, GPS, and Battery

kc0zps

May 18, 2009
Does anyone know if the VX-8R keeps the GPS "alive" even when its not in use (when I'm monitoring a repeater, for example). If so, is there a way to disable the GPS without removing it? The reason I ask this is because I monitor a local repeater on my HT while at work. Before installing the FGPS-2, I used to have plenty of battery life when I took the unit home. Now, the battery is dead when I pull into my house.

Does anyone know if the VX-8R keeps the GPS "alive" even when its not in use (when I'm monitoring a repeater, for example). If so, is there a way to disable the GPS without removing it? The reason I ask this is because I monitor a local repeater on my HT while at work. Before installing the FGPS-2, I used to have plenty of battery life when I took the unit home. Now, the battery is dead when I pull into my house.

I don't think there is anyway to disable it. I have found that it definitely drains the battery more quickly. The only way I know to do it is to remove the GPS unit.

Agreed. Don't think the GPS can be turned off. Kinda sucks. You might have to try saving battery via other settings. APRS modem, RX Save, TX Save, etc...

There is no setting that I've found to turn it off. If it's plugged in, it's active.

Bummer. :( It seems like a waste having the GPS run all the time without having a way to disable it; especially when battery life is important. I guess I'll just have to unplug the mic whenever I'm simply monitoring.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.