• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R headphone jack

Codejockey

KF5CKB
Jul 21, 2009
www.armedtexan.com
So I tried connecting ear phones to my VX-8R this morning to no avail. Sound did not come through them. I tried this both with the remote mic and without it, but in both cases, the sound continued to come either from the speaker mic (when it was attached) or the radio speaker. I looked through the menu to see if there's something I need to do to enable this. Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to borrow someone else's ear buds just to see if it was a problem with mine, but I really don't think it was.

Okay, so I've done more research. I'm waiting for a reply back from Yaesu, but it appears this jack only works with broadcast AM/FM channels, and not with the 6m, 2m, etc. that I'm wanting to use it for. This really annoys me. As such, is there an adapter anyone knows about that can be made or purchased that will split the input on the external mic / speaker into two inputs. One for the mic, and one for an external speaker. That way the mic speaker wouldn't be connected, and instead I could run those speaker wires to a jack for an external speaker. This would accomplish what I want.

Try a different pair, the manual says it is a three contact jack and not all headphones will work. Page 2 of the manual. Good luck.

Hmm sounds risky. I don't know how that setup would respond especially if the gps is in the mic. It might be able to be done though. This might be even more risky, but perhaps you could create another wire that comes out of the radio from the speaker wires inside and terminates into a female mini headphone jack.

Okay, I'm a moron. I figured it out. There is a menu setting that has two choices: Speaker or Auto. It was set to speaker, which essentially disables the earphone jack. I modified this setting and it works as expected. I feel completely stupid, but thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to find a good amp. external speaker. Any ideas?

Okay, so I've done more research. I'm waiting for a reply back from Yaesu, but it appears this jack only works with broadcast AM/FM channels, and not with the 6m, 2m, etc. that I'm wanting to use it for.
Yes it does...I'm listening to it right now through an external powered speaker with a plug that is the same as a stereo headphone.

What do you have menu 90 - "Speaker Out" set to? I leave mine on auto and it always sends the audio out to the headphone jack when there is something plugged in there, even if I have the hand mic attached. When I use the VX-8 for making satellite contacts, I put a pair of headphones on to hear and I use the hand mic to talk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.