• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R Help!!!!

Hello, my name is Jonathan, I'm from Colombia (South America), I have knowledge of radio bands 2 meters, I get some questions and I want to buy one.

I have these questions:

1) There is a modification posted on this page: http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/handitalk...aesu-vx-8r.htm, with this change the radio frequency Tx 5Wts @ ^ 6 meters? or just what comes factory set @ 1Wt for 6 meters? or modification only affects Tx in VHF (144 - 148Mhz -> increases to 137-174Mhz TX @ 5Wts) and UHF (430-440Mhz ---> increases TX 420-470MHz @ 5Wts, saying that the 222 -- 225Mhz? tx @? wts)

2) with the modification that changes the Rx? is some improvement in some of the bands or just improvement in Tx?

3) Do you have any problem making the modification ? deconfigure all?

4) The modification is erased some memories of the internal radio pre-installed? or just the configuration of User, for example: time, language, user memories ...?

5) I understand that this works with radio channel steps of: 5 / 6.25 / 8.33 / 9 / 10 / 12.5Khz ...... 100kHz, the question is by using UHF band, channel steps of 6.25 or 12.5 can and Rx / Tx or for GMRS / FRS is the banda of the two-way radios such as Motorola radios 5,10,20 .. . miles?

6) Your experience and you have the VX-8R, the radio works well?

7) As you think works the radio in the ^ 6 meters? both the Tx & Rx, Tx @ 1Wt ???

8) You with your experience, which disadvantages (or cons) has this radio apart from the 1100mAh Lithium Ion battery?

9) You know how many hours, the 1100mAh Lithium battery, only for Rx?

10) works well CTCSS tones? You think the VX-8R and improve this problem? , That this problem had the VX-7R with the CTCSS tone / DSC remember?

11) You can say that about the Rx Hz to 5 Mhz 999.90 Mhz? good? if successful in the Vx-8r Rx?

12) If I buy the VX-8R, and make the modification, the radio is reset Automatic or do I have to manually microprocessor resetting or Set mode Resetting, which of these?

13) Works well on audio scope, and the Spectrum Analizer attenuador 10dB?

14) Finally, if you believe that the VX-8R is not very good, another radio with similar characteristics?

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. hope soon to know their answers about my questions, because I am very interested in VX-8R acquire an excellent technology for Yaesu and I trust his long experience with the development & HT radios.

very grateful: Jonathan Delgado.

email: ing.jonathandelgado@hotmail.com

Last edited:

1) The mod does not affect the TX power output, only the frequency range. on 6m, the power output is 5 watts FM, 1 watt AM. The device is rated for 1.5 watts on 220Mhz, but I get a full 2 watts.

2) It changes just the TX range. The unit already RX on those frequencies from the factory.

3). No problems...it was very easy. Although it does reset the unit and you have to reprogram your memories, settings, etc.

4) It just erases the user programmed memories, the factory memories (vhf marine, weather, etc.) remain intact.

5) Yes, after the mod is done, it works on the GMRS and FRS frequencies

6) I like this radio a lot. Read the "review" thread for full details: http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/31811-review-new-yaesu-vx-8r.html

7) On 6M, it does 5 watts FM, 1 watt AM

8) The biggest disadvantage other than battery life is that they didn't take full advantage of the bluetooth potential. Again, read the other review for other thoughts.

9) The stock battery lasts about 7-8 hours RX only for me. That is listening to FM broadcast.

10) I haven't really had any problems using CTCSS or DCS with this rig yet. It seems to work fine.

11) The wideband RX works about as well as can be expected in a HT. If you temper your expectations on HF and use a better antenna, you won't be too disappointed.

12) If I remember correctly, it reset all on it's own.

13) I haven't plugged it into my scope yet and I don't have a spectrum analyzer. I imagine it will be as good as any other HT out there.

14)There aren't too many other radios out there like this one. I would still buy it again if was making the decision over again.

Hello again, thank you very much for answering my previous questions.

Now, I have just 3 questions.

1) I do not know how to use this option, how this work? -> Audio scope, the Spectrum Analizer and attenuador ? and that these options are included in the version of YAESU VX-8R, but do not know how to operate ...

2) I want to know if the mod is only for Rx? exactly which bands open?

3) I do not understand, if 6 ^ @ 5Wts Fm meters or 6 meters ^ @ 5Wts Am (correct if I'm wrong) ... I know that FM is frequency modulation and amplitude modulation is Am, Am is the best? what is the difference? go further? Sorry but I understand ...

Thank you very much from... Colombia, for answering all my questions.

The built in "Spectrum Analyzer" or "Spectra Scope" (they call it both things), is really a band sweep that shows you any activity on frequencies above or below the frequency you're currently using. There are a couple different options on how to use this feature: Check page 96 of the manual.

The attenuator reduces incoming signals by 10db. There are a couple reasons why you may want to do this, like if you have an external 2m antenna attached and you're getting very strong incoming signal. Page 124 in the manual outlines how to activate it.

On 6 meters, the radio outputs 6 watts in FM mode or 1 watt in AM mode. Which one is better depends on what you're trying to do. Most of the 6 meter repeaters around here are FM.

Sorry, I haven't seen a spanish manual.

I use both CTCSS and DCS and haven't had any problems. I too love the radio and if you plan on using it a lot spring for at least one extra high cap. battery ( i have three, one in the radio, one in the charger, and one on me as a spare).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.