• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r is way way too complicated for me!!

Franfood

Sep 14, 2011
Lawrence
So, I am a very "amateur" amateur HAM operator. I have had my license for about a year and have had very little time to got on the air. I got a great deal on the Yaesu VX-8r handheld just after i passed my test.

The problem that I have is....well ...the radio is way too complicated for my wee little brain to wrap around (at least at this stage of the game). Can anyone suggest a handheld that a very new operator will have an easier time understanding?

THX

KD0MUM

Pretty much all new gear is the same. Learn the very basics first such as entering frequencies into memories and VFO selection and eventually learn the other functions. I have had a Kenwood THG-71A for over ten years and still haven't figured out all it does yet as I have no need for most of it.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of amateur radios are a problem for new users, I know I had problems at first.

Best thing you can do besides joining a club is to sit down with the radio and manual and go through basic operations like programming a frequency into the VFO and then saving it to memory and then move on to programming repeater frequencies.

If you don't have the manual, the PDF version can be found here: http://yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?F...EH028M101.pdf&FileContentType=application/pdf

KD0MUM,
Like others have said, "stick with it". It will get easier.

A Yaesu FT-60R is a good basic radio that others I know have gotten and like. Dual band and single band receive, but I think it has a 'watch' function that will switch over to another frequency to listen then back to the main one if there is no activity.

One suggestion I will make that helps and hurts your situation is get programing software. It helps by showing you at a glance all the elements you can configure, setup or program. It hurts because you can become dependent on it for making changes from the computer screen and not the front panel of the radio. I think you can figure out how I came to that conclusion. :D

I had an 8R and made a trade for another radio. Missed it so much I bought an 8DR when they came out. Took a small beating ($$) on that exchange. Spend some quality time with it and the manual. Your brain is bigger than you think.:thumb up:

Mike, KE5MC

I too have this radio and it does in fact can seem very complicated at times.

I second the suggestion getting the programming software for it. It makes programming all your settings so much easier.

Another thing I have done is printed out the manuals for my mobile and HT in a smaller format that I keep in the car. I print 4 pages of the manual per sheet of 8x10 paper on each side. You can usually set this under your print preferences.

That way, when I am away from home - I can look-up a feature real quick that I may have forgotten how to access.

You can also find quick reference cards available online. Here is a free one you can print out and keep with you in your wallet.

www.svgkablo.com.tr/ta1dx/aprs/VX-8R_Quick_Reference_Guide_Duplex.pdf

Don't give up! The VX-8R is a great HT. Just stick with it - you'll be glad you did further down the road when you get into some of the advanced features.

KJ4RHB
thanks that is like the rossetta stone for the 8r.
I do have the manual, I do not however have the brain of an engineer. I will get the hang of it Im sure of this. I have also looked into the local club, Douglas county Am radio club (DCARC), but as my work keeps me away for 8-10 months of the year it isnt easy for me to make the meetings.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone it is greatly appreciated.

KD0MUM

73's

I guess mostly the nomenclature. It can be a bit overwhelming, seems to be "radio speak" isn't the easiest thing to pick up. I do however know it will take time, but I am very eager to get on the air.
You guys have it dialed in for sure. I do listen and I am trying to be patient, but it is difficult knowing that all of this activity is going on and I, as of yet, am unable to participate.
FYI... "Giving up" is not an option!

You all kick ass, thank you

KD0MUM

I feel for you. The problem isn't just learning the radio nomenclature...you have to learn the manufacturer's individual nomenclature, as well. The best thing is to find one of those pocket guides that gives you the basic steps in plain 'ol english and keep it with you for a while.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.