• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Here ya go ! Hopefully you can see it OK in the pic as the wire is pretty thin. It is at about 35 feet AGL strung between two trees which are out of sight to the sides.
You may have to zoom into the photo to see it clearly. It is fed with Belden 9913 RG8 cable. That is a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint. That's what I had available. You can adjust the impedence of a delta loop from about 100 to 400 ohms by changing the length of the sides relative to the horizontal top. I fiddled with the lengths until I got 200 ohms. It has a less than 1.5:1 match from 27 to 28 MHz.

As a bonus you can also see the roof of my shop, my A-99 in the background and a wee glimpse of a VHF marine antenna on the right side of the shop roof. And one of our world renowned giant fir trees too ! The top of that tree would be a great spot for a vertical if not for the hurricane force winds that blow up there in the winter.........an antenna in that tree wouldn't last long!View attachment 69259
So, would that be directional, maybe two ways, or omni, or how does it act?

So, would that be directional, maybe two ways, or omni, or how does it act?
In theory it should be bidirectional & horizontally polarized.
In practice it is indeed horizontal in polarization, but surprisingly it doesn't seem to be highly directional. A surprising outcome as I spent a large amount of time setting it up to favor optimal directions from here !
It definitely performs somewhat better in the expected directions, but I talk to Australia on it sometimes and that's right off the side. And those stations are still stronger than on my A-99
I suspect if I could get it up at more like 50 or 60 feet it might act a lot more directionally.

Sounds nice. I was just looking into it and seem some 2 and 3 element beam style then said "duhh".

In practice it is indeed horizontal in polarization, but surprisingly it doesn't seem to be highly directional. A surprising outcome as I spent a large amount of time setting it up to favor optimal directions from here !
It definitely performs somewhat better in the expected directions, but I talk to Australia on it sometimes and that's right off the side. And those stations are still stronger than on my A-99
I suspect if I could get it up at more like 50 or 60 feet it might act a lot more directionally.

CK-
Why do you always diss CBers. ?? I got my ticket last August, and hooked up my TS430 and gave 10 meters a shot. A few contacts were fine, but 8 out of 10 had some sarcastic remarks about Colombia and drugs . Or asked me if I came down here to do drugs. Or. . .made some low-class comment about my Latino wife.
THIS IS REAL CRAP !! I don't get any of this from CBers on 11 meters.

- J.J. 399

I don't diss CBers in general but listen to a lot of the crap on the band and you can see why someone would. FWIW I started on 11m, mostly DXing, always on SSB and pretty much on the Freeband. It was great.......waaaaay back then.I am going by my own experience, which is all anyone can do, when it comes to ex-CBers moving onto the ham bands. Back when licensing was changed so that all you had to do was memorize a few answers to some questions, the local 2m band became almost useless for quite some time as did 10m. Several of them basically took over a local repeater and continued to act like idiots on the air often tuning down to the CB band to harass the guys that had not gotten their tickets. I used to enjoy 10m FM DXing until they showed up with their class C splatter boxes on SSB and tore up the band. Some of them had power microphones wired up to their 2m FM radios and no matter how many times they were asked to back off the audio because they were overdeviatiting so bad they would be in and out of the repeater passband, they basically told you to go pound sand. THAT has been MY experiance although your's may be different. Admittedly things have gotten better the last few years and a few of them have disappeared.

Here ya go ! Hopefully you can see it OK in the pic as the wire is pretty thin. It is at about 35 feet AGL strung between two trees which are out of sight to the sides.
You may have to zoom into the photo to see it clearly. It is fed with Belden 9913 RG8 cable. That is a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint. That's what I had available. You can adjust the impedence of a delta loop from about 100 to 400 ohms by changing the length of the sides relative to the horizontal top. I fiddled with the lengths until I got 200 ohms. It has a less than 1.5:1 match from 27 to 28 MHz.

As a bonus you can also see the roof of my shop, my A-99 in the background and a wee glimpse of a VHF marine antenna on the right side of the shop roof. And one of our world renowned giant fir trees too ! The top of that tree would be a great spot for a vertical if not for the hurricane force winds that blow up there in the winter.........an antenna in that tree wouldn't last long!View attachment 69259
Very nice setup. You're fortunate that you have some tall trees to work with.

- J.J. 399

Reactions: BC Coyote
Watching Luz work the salesman is almost as much fun as talking DX.

- J.J. 399
I have one of those!!!! We went to buy a new van one time. Myself, wife, two boys. He wouldn't hit the mark she wanted... I got up and left the table and went out to our car.

About a half hour later, one of our boys came out to the car grinning. I asked how it was going. He said "mom's JUST ABOUT got him". Ten minutes later Carolyn came out to tell me to come on back in for signing.

She said that he got a LOT more accommodating after I walked out. He was asking her if I was okay... and if she thought I would come back. HE THOUGHT I took the "dealing and buying power"with ME to the car. OH NO!!!! I left him with a shark!!!!! She got EXACTLY the deal she wanted.

An "antenna guy" after my own heart! How do you do with that????

Reactions: BC Coyote
Just decided to fire up the Ranger on my day off today,I'm on 38 and 40 LSB at the moment,will be on and off through out the afternoon,hope everyone is doing well today and God Bless you all.............

73's
I am stuck at work reading about you guys DXing. My mind wanders thinking about what radio I am going to run when I get home. Which way should I point the antenna? What amplifier should I put in line? I also have a new to me Sinader to check out.

I used to do a lot of day dreaming in school as a kid......

I was researching that antenna and the question I asked about it and felt kinna silly, seeing, I am saving to buy a Maco VQ3, which is a beam form of that antenna.

Am 19 is gettin it since I hit the highway this morning. Right now is the time of year to where the suns position brings in that all too familiar pixie man rambling.....

But I'm hearing it from all over the good o'l US of A!

Gentleman, fire up your stations and get on with your DX'n
I made a couple of contacts out west this morning on sideband and checked 19 AM and heard that insufferable guy. DX dropped out about an hour later.
This evening I am hearing Australia and some east coast USA.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)