• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

5kW Mobile tube or solid-state?

I'm inclined to think that either 50V LDMOS or a tube is the way to go and not 12V or volting them higher that 14 for long term reliability and reasonable IMD numbers. Nomad, there is a faily big difference between average and peak power draw and with a brace of decent AGM or Lithiums and a capacitor or three they will I'm sure keep voltage droop to a minimum on speech peaks. Sideband is relatively easy on mobile power supplies as compared to balls to wall class C, over-driven, over volted AM.
So is there just a low voltage primary winding on such a mobile Dahl or is there some black magic in the windings?

Unit 148

Just a 3 phase step up xfmr.

how does a step up transformer work on DC power?

They don't. A transformer on DC is direct short.

"Alternator" literally means alternating current generator. Our car alternators generate 3 phase AC power.

We think of them as DC simply because in auto applications (nowadays) they have built-in rectifiers.

2_250.htm
What I want to know is how does a step up transformer work on DC power? Or is connected to the alternator before the rectifier? In which case, no amount of extra batteries will help.

3 phase

http://www.extremecb.com/2_250.htm

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I currently run an old 8 x Toshiba 2879 mobile amplifier which will be shortly going to a new home.

I would like to step up to the next level in mobile power. Mobile power supply is not a problem as can add alternators and or batteries as required.

I operate mainly on sideband so will use an AB amp.

Would you look at a solid-state or tube amplifier? Either way I would like a high gain unit so I do not have to have boxes driving boxes.

I have up to 100W pep drive and would like a clean 5kW+ pep output

Unit 148
wow $$$$

Once you try to build a proper 32 pill mobile going ac makes alot of sense. Especially with the pills nowadays.
There is loads of trapped potential in an alternator once you make it unregulated and tap the ac. If you have never run ac you just have no idea what can be done . One alt on an ac box can make soooo much more power soooooo much eaiser than a pile of dc alts. The power comes so easy so fast you will sit there being mad that you ever did anything else. I mean shit, guys ran them in chevettes and mustangs right @Mustang 131 ?

Once you try to build a proper 32 pill mobile going ac makes alot of sense. Especially with the pills nowadays.
There is loads of trapped potential in an alternator once you make it unregulated and tap the ac. If you have never run ac you just have no idea what can be done . One alt on an ac box can make soooo much more power soooooo much eaiser than a pile of dc alts. The power comes so easy so fast you will sit there being mad that you ever did anything else. I mean shit, guys ran them in chevettes and mustangs right @Mustang 131 ?
I know you have a big mobile @linearone What are you running?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.