• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anybody use switching power supplies?

Switching power supplies are reliable, but 30mv ripple is high. I prefer Astron linear power supplies with 8mv ripple. However, as a replacement in high power base CBs a switcher fits and cannot be beat.

GregT -

Do you run your two S700- 12s at 14.2 vdc in parallel ?? Mega Watt recommends 13.9 max when running in parallel. Does operating at 14.2vdc seem to work OK ?? If so, I will boost my voltage a bit

- J.J. 399
Well, I think he changed the PSUs. The single 700 I have is an older one and I can get 15.xv out of it. The two I have ganged max out at 14.2v. But, I had an issue with these when I first put them into use. He told me they were all set, just parallel them and they will do the rest. This was not the case. I put a clamp-on meter on each lead while transmitting and one PSU was delivering 40+ Amps while the other was doling out about 22 or so. So, instead of using caps and diodes, I just used two short HD jumpers to parallel the two, then connected my positive load on one PSU and the negative on the other. They pull evenly now and work flawlessly on 14.2v. When the amp is drawing about 62 Amps, the voltage drops to about 13.9v

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.