• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anytone Ares 2

If you're not being heard, it's not the fault of the radio. Ares 2 has pretty darn good audio right out of the box.
What are you using for an antenna ? Remember, the antenna is about 90% of the reason you do or don't get out, not the radio.
I knew a kid in a trailer in Hinesvile Ga that was using a FireStick on a roof gutter mount, a tiny Realistic or Cobra 40ch radio and a tiny wall-wort to power it. As long as people where behaving and the alligator stations and mobiles where not stomping around he was heard just fine. In fact I could hear him on a quite night just audio no signal sometimes 30 miles away in my mobile.

I knew a GI that lived in the Baracks I think his handle was SlimReaper or BigTop Reaper and drove a Green Ford Ranger. He first got on the air at Ft. Stewart sticking the top of an Antron 99 out the window of his Barrack bedroom.

I knew a great guy and his wife was terrific as well. GI went by RubberChicken! I think he was driving a Caviler with a Wilson 5000 and an HR2510 wedged into the glove box. He worked all kinds of stations and did all kinds of T-Hunts with us. Turned me on to some great guitar heavy metal!

My point is no one complained about their gear. Probably because few of us where on the internet in 1991-1993 and the few of us that where were not on a site like complaining about how bad our gear was we where too busy out and about having fun with our gear. If your gear was getting the job done that is all that mattered!

The prob. today is to many opinions and forum queens that spend more time on the forum than they do out in the world talking! Too many low value people with huge amounts of dirty power and splatter box radio's today. 1/1000 of the people today on the air but most of them have really powerful radios that have been butchered. It is hard to be heard on a 4 watt radio when most people are using 140w to 600w radio's with butchered audio circuits.

I can remeber when most bases where an omin direction antenna or a simple pair of stacked quads and a 50w to 150w amp at most. I can remeber when a lot of guys upgraded to dual final radio's for base use and put their amp in the attick or the closet!

Funny how so many where 10X happier almost 30 years ago than most of the guys on this site with far less radio, amp or antenna than most guys on this site running more radio, more power and better antennas today! Maybe finding a way to be happy is what is missing?

RuberChicken if your out there I wish you and your wife all the best! Great times at Ft. Stewart!

Reactions: c316buckeye
I have the older version. The receive on it is horrible for some reason. Worse than my Cobra 19 Plus
Do not take this the wrong way. I believe you are being honest. So that said what have you checked out on this radio? Did you do anything to it? Every factory cranks out some lemons but the Cobra 19 + was no gem. I think you got a lemon like if you got a Corvette that could not out accelerate a Toyota Camry it is not that the Camry is the better sports car it would be a sign that something is seriously wrong with the Corvette in questions! If you purchased a Cobra 148 that did not outperform the CObra 19 would think that is normal and the norm for all CObra 148's?

Yup. A good question for sure. But if you look at the 5555N II chart, it has something to do with the weather frequency. But what exactly does it do when being adjusted is the question. Unfortunately, that is the best info that I have at the moment. But for sure, there was enough info for me to get this radio working way better and to my liking, so I'm happy for sure. All the initial issues I had with this radio are gone. Yeah!
Thanks again everyone for your help. Much appreciated.
I know this is older thread. I purchased AT AriesII FROM EBAY. Iknow bad move, but now i can not get it to transmit. I have checked my Service Menue settings with your post. Some are close and some way different. Do all the Aries II radios come from factory with the same settings? or are they all different? Not a radio person and hate putting more money in a hole. Hoping if the person that did the freq. mod changed the settings i might be able to at least put them back to get it to work. Seller now not responding. Thanks.

Do all the Aries II radios come from factory with the same settings? or are they all different?
They are all different. If it has been messed with, you will most likely need to find a tech who understands these radios very well, with all the necessary test equipment to align it properly.

This assumes that the radio isn't broken (no blown finals, missing components, damaged PCB, etc) of course.

Good luck with it.

They are all different. If it has been messed with, you will most likely need to find a tech who understands these radios very well, with all the necessary test equipment to align it properly.

This assumes that the radio isn't broken (no blown finals, missing components, damaged PCB, etc) of course.

Good luck with it.
Pez,

any chance we can get a list of these shops?

I know a few people that are wanting warranty work done.

thanks!
LC

Pez,

any chance we can get a list of these shops?

I know a few people that are wanting warranty work done.

thanks!
LC
Nice try LC. I suggested finding a good tech, nothing about shops! He purchased this off eBay, so even he knows he is out of luck on that front.

When you purchase an ARES 2 / AT-5555Nii / AT-6666 PRO, you could purchase it from somewhere like Radioddity (sold as QT-40/QT-60/QT-80) for the full warranty support they provide on these radios.

Last edited:
Nice try LC. I suggested finding a good tech, nothing about shops! He purchased this off eBay, so even he knows he is out of luck on that front.

When you purchase an ARES 2 / AT-5555Nii / AT-6666 PRO, I would recommend you purchase it from somewhere like Radioddity (sold as QT-40/QT-60/QT-80) for the full warranty support they provide on these radios. (Or buy from a trusted Tech who stands behind their sales, like Scott's Radios in Michigan, USA).

How is Scott's radios standing behind what he sells, when you buy an Anytone radio and he clearly states you are on your own after the sale? Sorry, but you have a major contradiction with that shameless plug of a statement.

How is Scott's radios standing behind what he sells, when you buy an Anytone radio and he clearly states you are on your own after the sale? Sorry, but you have a major contradiction with that shameless plug of a statement.
It wasn't a shameless plug, it was just an observation. I am not a customer of his. But I have seen him go over and above to help on the occasion that things go wrong. This, as opposed to buying a radio on eBay. That is all I was referring to.
I have removed that comment from my reply, because I'm not trying to sell anything, or plug anyone.

I also have no affiliation with Radioddity. It's just my 2c because I was asked. Take it or leave it. I have no dog in this fight.

It wasn't a shameless plug, it was just an observation. I am not a customer of his. But I have seen him go over and above to help on the occasion that things go wrong. This, as opposed to buying a radio on eBay. That is all I was referring to.
I have removed that comment from my reply, because I'm not trying to sell anything, or plug anyone.

I also have no affiliation with Radioddity. It's just my 2c because I was asked. Take it or leave it. I have no dog in this fight.

I just call it, like I see it.

I just call it, like I see it.

No problem. Me too.

Regarding the issue Timmy had - I'm not totally across this, but he did say that he did not contact the seller (Scotts) until very late, after sending it to another local tech for repairs first. And it was some 18 months (or so) after the sale? I don't know the outcome of all that but that's what I recall from the discussions I saw. Hopefully he has a good outcome.

I think your quotes in the last post have gone a bit heywire - It has me quoting you!?

Regarding the issue Timmy had - I'm not totally across this, but he did say that he did not contact the seller (Scotts) until very late, after sending it to another local tech for repairs first. And it was some 18 months (or so) after the sale? I don't know the outcome of all that but that's what I recall from the discussions I saw.
Yes they did go haywire and I thought I mitigated this by deleting my reply. Yes it was 18 months. But, if *I* sold it, I would have at the very least, had a look at it.

Scott's would not. IMHO, that is *not* standing behind what he sells. Obviously, I am not as impressed with Scott's Radios as others on here seem to be.

These are my observations.

No problem. Me too.

Regarding the issue Timmy had - I'm not totally across this, but he did say that he did not contact the seller (Scotts) until very late, after sending it to another local tech for repairs first. And it was some 18 months (or so) after the sale? I don't know the outcome of all that but that's what I recall from the discussions I saw. Hopefully he has a good outcome.
Timmy replaced the radio with a QT-60 Pro

Reactions: Pez
Yes they did go haywire and I thought I mitigated this by deleting my reply. Yes it was 18 months. But, if *I* sold it, I would have at the very least, had a look at it.

Scott's would not. IMHO, that is *not* standing behind what he sells. Obviously, I am not as impressed with Scott's Radios as others on here seem to be.

These are my observations.

It's none of my business (no dog in fight, etc) , but I did just re-read what Timmy said. It seems Scott's did not get an opportunity to look at the radio, and Timmy respectfully chose another path in this case. It might be the case that Scotts has not been contacted about this radio at all? I'm not across it all, but that is what I just read.
Hopefully he has a better time with his new PRO.

It's none of my business (no dog in fight, etc) , but I did just re-read what Timmy said. It seems Scott's did not get an opportunity to look at the radio, and Timmy respectfully chose another path in this case. It might be the case that Scotts has not been contacted about this radio at all? I'm not sure but that is what I just read.

I am not certain if he contacted Scott's. He did say he was reluctant to contact Scott's, due to Scott's published warranty policy statement that was quoted on here. I am not going to speak for Timmy on this.

I have also seen Scott's YT video on this very subject. I have made my observations and formed my opinion on it. Again, I would have at minimum had a look at it, made an assessment and given the customer a clue as to what was going on, had I sold it. This is clearly against Scott's Radio's policy in respect to 10 meter radios he sells, particularly Anytone.

What bothered me further about this, is that Scott's worked on the radio before he shipped it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.