• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

This mornin at 7:30 am i got to 155 in burmuda.
Real good signal.he is having mild rain n its supposed to hit 80 here today.sadly be great skip day n i got yard work

Every time I try 11 meter SSB Skip there are so many stations piling up it is annoying. Been that way a month or so. I try to make a couple of contacts then move on to another band.
If you move up above the regular 40 it's a lot quieter and contacts tend to be more pleasant and longer as a result....... Switching from LSB to USB up there helps too.......

@unit_399 I believe I was hearing you in there pretty good up here in the middle US on 36 LSB.
Heard you in there trying to get one of the wdx stations down in Texas
I just didn't have any go go Juice.
He was trying for me and I could just barely hear him over the noise floor. I tried getting back to him but I couldn't make the trip. Or if I did, he may not have heard me well enough.

I did get a better listen and it was your numbers you're correct. He was sure topping over the noise in my receive.
Sometimes I feel so inadequate LOL.
A lot of it is the antenna situation. JJ has a nice beam antenna and had it pointed my direction. I was on my IMax 2000 omnidirectional, so he definitely had the upper hand today. We've talked before. One of them was a 30 minute qso and heard no one else on the frequency, but conditions were much better then.

A lot of it is the antenna situation. JJ has a nice beam antenna and had it pointed my direction. I was on my IMax 2000 omnidirectional, so he definitely had the upper hand today. We've talked before. One of them was a 30 minute qso and heard no one else on the frequency, but conditions were much better then.
I hear you about the antenna I cut my teeth on a Astro Plane and Astro Beam dad had, seems like forever ago, as a kid.

If you move up above the regular 40 it's a lot quieter and contacts tend to be more pleasant and longer as a result....... Switching from LSB to USB up there helps too.......
Yep for sure. Have done that for years. Been trying for decades to figure out why that’s called the Free Band. Free of 11111111 and other smart alecks I guess.

@unit_399 I believe I was hearing you in there pretty good up here in the middle US on 36 LSB.
Heard you in there trying to get one of the wdx stations down in Texas
I just didn't have any go go Juice.

He was trying for me and I could just barely hear him over the noise floor. I tried getting back to him but I couldn't make the trip. Or if I did, he may not have heard me well enough.
I was pedaling as fast as I could. but no cigar. I thought I heard 226 come back one time, but you were in the pile and I couldn't pull anyone out. We had morning thunderstorms and I wasn't able to get air time until right at 11. Three guys on 37 watching and talking about the Masters hogging the channel on my end. Finally kept keying up on them calling for WDX226 and chased them away. I think if we're going to be successful we need to go to chans 45usb or higher. I was running my amp on low (300Watts). I should have switched to high (about 800) to try and punch through. Better luck next time.

- 399 J.J.

I was pedaling as fast as I could. but no cigar. I thought I heard 226 come back one time, but you were in the pile and I couldn't pull anyone out. We had morning thunderstorms and I wasn't able to get air time until right at 11. Three guys on 37 watching and talking about the Masters hogging the channel on my end. Finally kept keying up on them calling for WDX226 and chased them away. I think if we're going to be successful we need to go to chans 45usb or higher. I was running my amp on low (300Watts). I should have switched to high (about 800) to try and punch through. Better luck next time.

- 399 J.J.
I think you're right. We need to try above 40. I was looking in my log book and found the other times we were above 40.
I will say that for me, I didn't hear a bunch of stations. A few, but not a big mess.
I'm always hearing a small group of guys here in the states who like sitting on lsb 39 and shooting the shit for hours on end. I do exactly what you did. :ROFLMAO:

Ok my friend, we'll do this different next time. Thanks for trying!!
73's to you and yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and Keto
Ho Hum conditions up here. My lucky channel today was 26.805 FM. Had a few good contacts down there today, and a few on the upper channels as well. I'm happy that even with the so-so conditions I can still make contacts no problem......

Propagation from here seems to be favoring the Great Lakes / Ontario / New York area, plus the deep south (Texas, Louisiana, Florida etc.). Also getting Caribbean daily as well as Brazil & Argentina and then Australia / New Zealand / New Caledonia / Hawaii in the late afternoon.

Was hearing Jamaica this morning as I was running for a haircut and this afternoon as traveling the DX was rolling pretty good. Stayed away from 38 lsb because it was a beehive but when I bumped up to 40 lsb there was some 111 clown polluting that channel so back down to 37 lsb I went. Can't wait for a sunny & warm day to explore my Expedition for power routing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.