• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Hard rain off and on all day here. Finally caught a break a about 4pm ET so connected up the antenna. Hooked up with 605 BRAD in the Lonestar. Nice 20 minute QSO. Then Denver, St.George Utah, Honolulu. San Jose Calif, & Tucumcari, New Mexico. Conditions were up and down, but no trouble holding a good qso. called CQ-WDX many times but no takers. Thunder and lightning made me disconnect the antenna around 6:30 pm.

J.J. 399
Nothing but silence here in west Texas. I've heard many stations talking to a 605 in the lonestar but haven't quite figured out where he is. I'm thinking maybe south Texas.

I'm glad you had good conditions and some nice QSO's! I'm hoping the weekend will be better around here.

73's

I finally made it to Kate in Canterbury

Enjoyed the video but brings up a question that I have often thought about. I've often wondered what the difference is between the President Washington and the Uniden Washington as the 3 button models look the same. When I decided to get back into CB I remember hearing the Washington radios were good so my first ebay radio purchase was a Uniden 3 button and then a second one from Craigslist which unfortunately ended up bad also. That's when I bought a Uniden 980 and started to make contacts. But back to the original question. what's the difference between the President & the Uniden and was one better than the other ?

Reactions: Rwb
Enjoyed the video but brings up a question that I have often thought about. I've often wondered what the difference is between the President Washington and the Uniden Washington as the 3 button models look the same. When I decided to get back into CB I remember hearing the Washington radios were good so my first ebay radio purchase was a Uniden 3 button and then a second one from Craigslist which unfortunately ended up bad also. That's when I bought a Uniden 980 and started to make contacts. But back to the original question. what's the difference between the President & the Uniden and was one better than the other ?
Someone will probably answer this better while I'm typing, but here goes.

The difference isn't President vs Uniden, it's the uPD858 chassis vs the MB8719. Under the hood they are both Uniden boards. When President first offered the Washington, it had the uPD858 chassis inside. However, the FCC had a few... concerns about that one. So Uniden stopped making the uPD858 boards and switched to the less problematic (the FCC thought) MB8719. Then President exited the US market. Uniden bought the rights(I think) to continue the existing product lines under their own brand.

So you can have a uPD858 President Washington, a MB8719 President Washington, or a MB8719 Uniden Washington. All were as good or bad as other radios based on the same chassis for each particular era.

The fact that you got two duds is probably a reflection that people tended to abuse these radios. Getting a new radio at that point was a smart move.

Nothing but silence here in west Texas. I've heard many stations talking to a 605 in the lonestar but haven't quite figured out where he is. I'm thinking maybe south Texas.

I'm glad you had good conditions and some nice QSO's! I'm hoping the weekend will be better around here.

73's
605 is just south of Cisco, a place called Carbon,TX. I go through that area fairly often and have talked to him a couple of times. I think he runs a base and a mobile.

Skip has been weak for me the last few days. Quite in morning, but picks up later in the days. I have made a few contacts from Texas to the west and east coast, but they were quick and conditions would drop out. I was in Baton Rouge yesterday and made a very short contact with Joe in northwest Nicaragua, so that was nice. Lately I have been doing more listening then talking.

the drunken fair dingum was at it again. i couldnt make any contacs and had a bad noise level no matter where i went. it died down about 9 but no activity i could use. been usin radios since 1970 so im sayin its simply sayin THATS RADIOING

Good Morning all, just got home from Church and decided to fire up the Ranger for a few minutes,it is absolutely quiet on 38 LSB,like no one is on up here in Central Pennsylvania.......the Propagation Report was for only fair conditions on 11 meter's for today,I'll be back on the air after 2pm on channel 38 and 40 LSB and hopefully conditions will be a bit better!!!!!

73's

Good Morning all, just got home from Church and decided to fire up the Ranger for a few minutes,it is absolutely quiet on 38 LSB,like no one is on up here in Central Pennsylvania.......the Propagation Report was for only fair conditions on 11 meter's for today,I'll be back on the air after 2pm on channel 38 and 40 LSB and hopefully conditions will be a bit better!!!!!

73's
We have the same conditions here. I heard one station off in the distance for a few seconds. Otherwise it's dead silence.

It's been pretty quiet up here as well the last week or so. Skip doesn't start coming in until mid-morning at the earliest, and only a few weak stations after it does come in.....
Yesterday I made a couple contacts on 26.805FM but other than that the only channel with activity was good 'ole 38 LSB, where I also made a few contacts.
The good news is with the bad conditions, I can no longer hear the 11111 guy or any of the other ass-hats that inhabit the band these days ! Just hissssssssss......

73's
Well folks,the conditions didn't cooperate too well up there in Central Pennsylvania,so no Dice in getting any DX contacts,seemed like everyone on the radio coming in was very faint in the background so to speak,etc....we will try again next weekend and see how things go,etc.....

73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.