• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12, 24, and 48 volts????

That BLF248 looks interesting.

300 watts output at 28 volts supply voltage. Not too bad is it? (y) The Larcan television amplifier module I have, as seen in the thread in the amplifiers section, uses the MRF151G which is very similar but requires 50 volts. It also has an output of 300 watts and the Larcan unit uses four of them to produce 1200 watts. Hopefully this weekend I can run out to Warren's place and install a few SMD caps to increase the efficiency of it by shifting the tuning more in favour of the 50 MHz range. It will still make 1000 watts without the mods but it takes more drive to do it. One module is producing 1000 watts with just 6.5 watts of drive. I also have another amplifier with four more MRF151G's in it but is tuned for the FM broadcast band and is class C so I think it may become a parts donor for another project down the road rather than a modification project.

Good info guys....

So transistor amps are out.....

What are some of the tube amps to look for, that are neighborly friendly ?...

Depends on the operator. Most tube are not the problem...even sweep tubes. Nothing wrong with them but the prices of the tubes.
Any 11m amp builders worth a damm will build whatever you want. Most CBers rather cut covers then pay full price.

Depends on the operator. Most tube are not the problem...even sweep tubes. Nothing wrong with them but the prices of the tubes.
Any 11m amp builders worth a damm will build whatever you want. Most CBers rather cut covers then pay full price.

Have you taken a poll? Done a survey?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No survey required. Take a look at the number of cheaply made class C amps being bought up by CBers then look at the number of amateur amps they are buying. The class C cheaply made amps far outnumber the better made amateur amps.

Reactions: 1 person
No survey required. Take a look at the number of cheaply made class C amps being bought up by CBers then look at the number of amateur amps they are buying. The class C cheaply made amps far outnumber the better made amateur amps.

If you say so.

I do say so therefore according to you yourself it must be true. Thanks for agreeing with me. :D
Actually having been in radio for over 35 years it is really quite plain to see what is being sold in quanties and where it is going. Not hard to see at all.

I do say so therefore according to you yourself it must be true. Thanks for agreeing with me. :D
Actually having been in radio for over 35 years it is really quite plain to see what is being sold in quanties and where it is going. Not hard to see at all.

With a name like Captain Kilowatt one would have to assume you know what you are talking about.

With a name like Captain Kilowatt one would have to assume you know what you are talking about.

If you only knew how I got that name........oh hell I'll tell you. It has NOTHING to do with CB for starters. I spent 22 years as a station engineer for a radio broadcast network. One time I was at a transmitter site servicing it after a modulator tube blew. It was still on the air but had terrible audio. As per standard practice I had the announcer mention that we would be off the air for about ten minutes and would return shortly. He said "Don't worry folks. Captain Kilowatt is on the scene and will have us back ship shape in no time." The name stuck.

If you only knew how I got that name........oh hell I'll tell you. It has NOTHING to do with CB for starters. I spent 22 years as a station engineer for a radio broadcast network. One time I was at a transmitter site servicing it after a modulator tube blew. It was still on the air but had terrible audio. As per standard practice I had the announcer mention that we would be off the air for about ten minutes and would return shortly. He said "Don't worry folks. Captain Kilowatt is on the scene and will have us back ship shape in no time." The name stuck.

Lol that's cool.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.