• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12V-100AMP Supply for $20.00!!

Hi,
I have the hp 1300w psu and i saw the diagram but im not sure how to wire de resistor to get higher voltage.
Is there someone who has a real pic of the back psu?

project completed

Finished the build on my 100 amp supply last night. Tested it under load (my Kenwood TS430S) and everything works fine. All that is left to do now, is to dress up the wiring to the faceplate and get the 220 vac line cord I ordered from the HP distributor in Medellin. This was a fun project, and the result is that I now have a reliable, high-quality 100+ amp supply for less than $80 USD invested. Admittedly, many of the parts I used were scavenged from stuff I had laying around, but even after factoring this in, the total investment is only $120 or so.
As Robb pointed out, the BIG drawback with the HP supply is the fan noise. There are two 11,000 rpm turbo fans in these units, and when they're running it sounds like you're right under the approach to LA International. Removing them and mounting an external fan won't work because the supply won't power up without them. The only solution I can find is to mount a 10 ohm/2 watt resistor in the power lead to each fan. It's still noisy, but it's acceptable. If I had it to do over, I would use a 120 amp Dell EDGE supply that has output voltage up to 15.4, and external fan speed control.

Anyway, I started out with this:

View attachment 9916

And ... here's the final result:

View attachment 9913

View attachment 9914

View attachment 9915

I will post some pics of the inside as well as a wiring diagram on my user page album later this week. 73s, and thanks to everyone who posted info on this thread.

Do you have a wiring diagram of the volt and amp gauges please?

Instead of using pin D3 use D2(ground)? And connect the pot directly to the pins?

For regulating the voltage,is this possible??

Attachments

• DL580 G3 PSU Pinout.jpg
    DL580 G3 PSU Pinout.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 611
  • supply-connections.jpg
    supply-connections.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,143
Yeah. Home brew. :D

Dang that's a hard range to find something for. I assume 24 volts is a tad too low? Some avionics stuff requires 28 volts but I believe they refer to it as a "nominal 24 volt supply". I found some stuff on Ebay but not in the current range you need.

Whatcha got that needs that kind of voltage and current? Is it for the NEC modules?
I think Meanwell sells 28-32V@50A and a 48V-52V@50A and 100A and they are master/slave enabled and voltage is internally adjustable with pot. See their site for details. Remeber the load sensing lead on a switched supply is the negative important to know when stacking them against OEM recommendation from Chi-Com supplies.

project completed

Finished the build on my 100 amp supply last night. Tested it under load (my Kenwood TS430S) and everything works fine. All that is left to do now, is to dress up the wiring to the faceplate and get the 220 vac line cord I ordered from the HP distributor in Medellin. This was a fun project, and the result is that I now have a reliable, high-quality 100+ amp supply for less than $80 USD invested. Admittedly, many of the parts I used were scavenged from stuff I had laying around, but even after factoring this in, the total investment is only $120 or so.
As Robb pointed out, the BIG drawback with the HP supply is the fan noise. There are two 11,000 rpm turbo fans in these units, and when they're running it sounds like you're right under the approach to LA International. Removing them and mounting an external fan won't work because the supply won't power up without them. The only solution I can find is to mount a 10 ohm/2 watt resistor in the power lead to each fan. It's still noisy, but it's acceptable. If I had it to do over, I would use a 120 amp Dell EDGE supply that has output voltage up to 15.4, and external fan speed control.

Anyway, I started out with this:

View attachment 9916

And ... here's the final result:

View attachment 9913

View attachment 9914

View attachment 9915

I will post some pics of the inside as well as a wiring diagram on my user page album later this week. 73s, and thanks to everyone who posted info on this thread.

Where the two blue computer grade caps for extra output filtering? Any birdies? I see you had a lot of ferrites int he photo. Where those just their for "extra" filtering or did you find a lot of noise? Thanks!! I am looking at doing the same thing but with a 2360W supply and the same supply you have which ever I get the better deal on! Thanks again for you time and thoughts and experience!

P.S. Should you need cheap transformers for electroplating or for automotive battery charger's re-wrapping MOT's secondary has turned free microwaves tossed out in the trash by people into super cheap transformers of choice for such home brew projects.

P.P.S. Their is a young Russian man that built a single tube GI7BT RF amp using a MOT. Scary build I saw it on Youtube.

P.S. Their is a young Russian man that built a single tube GI7BT RF amp using a MOT. Scary build I saw it on Youtube.

Holy. Mother. @ 1:25 I thought he was done for, I guess that is low current, high voltage similar to a Van De Graaff generator of sorts? IDK, but yeah looks scary for sure!

Last edited:
Fear is only a bad thing if you let it cripple you or over whelm you a little bit of fear reminds you how much you want to keep on living and reminds you to be respectful of things that can easily kill you if you get absent minded or lose focus or rush! When ever I can I turn things off position my test gear back away and turn the device on. It might take longer to trouble shoot like that but with high voltages it is so much safer! I need to get an isolation transformer and a Variac at some point! It is normal for youngster's to be fearless but if they continue on that way most of the time those young guys do not live to be old guys!

I did not get the killer $20 deal like Unit_399 but I still got what I think is a great deal. Including shipping $50 for a 1300W HP power supply. NOS still the box from a US Bulk Supplier of new, used and refurbished Server Parts. At that price including the shipping I was not too worried about trying to deal on the Dell 2360w supply.

I am only going to power a 1 or 2 transistor amp with it. I am thinking about locating it in another room and running wires to it so I do not have the fan noise close to me. I am definitely going to do the resistor mod for the fan speed since I will not be running this thing that hard. Since this is NOS I wonder how long it has been sitting on a shelf?

I wish I could get the humidity in my basement lower even with a dehumidifier it is higher than I would want for a device like this. It would be nice to mount it in the basement right under my radio room and remote it.

I wonder if putting some bulk filtration media at both ends of the device would dampen the noise a bit more along with the resistor mod?

Anyone remember back when printers where so loud they had their own box with sound foam and a plexi lid? If you did not have that using them in a library or office was close to impossible. I think it was daisy wheel and dot matrix printer. Back when computer rooms had to be air conditioned.

I took the fan out of the unit I have, and added a rotron "Whisper Fan" inside the cabinet blowing directly into the PSU. Built a separator between the PSU and the cabinet to seal things off and prevent hot are from recirculating inside the cabinet. After I originally published the photos of the competed unit, I used it for quite a while, but got VERY tired of the fan noise. Another drawback was that the current limiting resistors I used to slow down the fans generated a lot of heat. So I tore the supply down, and removed the stock fan assemblies. Built a 360hz oscillator to fool the PSU into thinking the fans were running. I had to relocate almost everything in the cabinet. But now the unit is quiet and cool running. A lot of work, but worth it.
I run a 1 into 4 amp, and get a solid 800 watts peak on SSB in the high position (Almost always run it on Low though.) The supply voltage drops maybe 0.1 volts under full load. Highest ever reading on the temp gauge was 28.6 C. I gave some consideration to getting a Dell PSU, but the HP I have works so well that that I passed on the Dell.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
You know I thought I had out grown N+1 syndrome at the ripe age of 44 years old! Thanks to this power supply thread I have relapsed and am needing an intervention on Server Power Supplies! Given the cost of consumer level power supplies switching or linear style it is hard to turn down some of the prices on these server supplies. Now that I got my "NEW" one I am now taking chances on used and "seller refurbished" ones at crazy insane low prices.

When the wife asking me why we have a mountain of server power supplies I am going to direct her to Unit_399's thread! LOL It is like the siren song in "Jason and the Argonauts" !!!! LOL How these supplies where calling my name as I laid down to sleep! LOL

I just got a factor sealed HP DL380 600W for $10 even if you have to recap it due to age how do you go wrong with a 42A supply for $10+$9 shipping. So far I have gotten 2 that are truly new not a scratch on any surface at all virgin pins and plastic, sealed, no dust on them inside or out and with the factory power cords. Most "New" "New Other" "New Bulk" "New Pulls" I treats as suspect and bid accordingly but so far I have lucked out. Unlike hard drives you can not tell how many hours are on these things and it is like a roll of the dice!

My Samlex 23A supply cost me $79 a good 10 years ago and it could use a recap because they are known for green cap failures. It is not any where near as well built as these server supplies. I bought that years ago before I lost my first home to run my Lincoln as a base.

Again Unit_399 thanks so much at these prices I can afford to stock up a bit. I have been wanting to get a power supply with more current capacity for a while now! Cheer's

Ok guys I got 3 different Server Power Supplies other than the NOS 1300W HP which I paid $50 the other 2 are also NOS but under $20 one 600W the other 800W.

Sometime in the next month I will try to set them all up to A-B test all 3 and report on how noisy the fan is when set in default mod with no logic control.

After all if we are not going to push these that hard the one that is less annoyingly loud the better even at the cost of some current capacity!

For the record if your unit has a 2 wire fan you can use any fan you like. If it has a 3rd wire that is a tach signal that reports to the CPU and you would need to use a 3 wire fan if not using a 555 timer IC. On 2 wire units a lot of guys have been able to swap out 120mm fans that do not move as much air to reduce the ambient noise output with no cooling issues.

Ok guys I got 3 different Server Power Supplies other than the NOS 1300W HP which I paid $50 the other 2 are also NOS but under $20 one 600W the other 800W.

Sometime in the next month I will try to set them all up to A-B test all 3 and report on how noisy the fan is when set in default mod with no logic control.

After all if we are not going to push these that hard the one that is less annoyingly loud the better even at the cost of some current capacity!

For the record if your unit has a 2 wire fan you can use any fan you like. If it has a 3rd wire that is a tach signal that reports to the CPU and you would need to use a 3 wire fan if not using a 555 timer IC. On 2 wire units a lot of guys have been able to swap out 120mm fans that do not move as much air to reduce the ambient noise output with no cooling issues.
Do you have any left? I checked all of the servers I have here and they are not adaptable to run out side of the case.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?