• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter dipole for ssb

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
144.100-144.275

building a 2m dipole, does this sound about right:
total length = 3.25 '
each leg is = 1.62 '

i believe it is true trying to do ssb work on 2m with a vertical is not practical ?

Your 2 meter dipole lengths are about right. Starting a little long and trimming to size is much easier than the other way around.
Polarization will play a part in antenna orientation with SSB on 2 meters. That's from both an electrical and practical point of view. It's certainly not impossible to use a vertical, but there won't be many instances where it will not be a liability. Nothing says you can't hang that dipole horizontally -or- vertically, so it's definitely a possible solution for antenna 'challenged' people (and for swapping modes when you care to).
Got a couple of wire coat-hangers? Maybe a dry chunk of wood/plastic or an SO-239 laying around? How about one'a them ancient 'rabbit-ear' TV antennas? How about a non-metallic window screen on a 8th floor window and some small'ish wire??
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
This is a very simple a cheap first 2m antenna build that works very well.

BUILD A GROUND PLANE ANTENNA FOR 2 METERS AND MORE - SIMPLE AND EASY!

looks great! but.. i like the other build a little better as i already have them silly tv ears. just have to find a insulator still digging in my ratpack house lol

its too bad the jpole doesn't "radiate" right for ssb

I made one of these and modified it a little.

View attachment 6650

When everyone in the house wakes up I will take a picture of the one I made

S I M P L E

this can be used inside the house too yes?

Turn that 'J'-pole sideways and then try it on SSB.

Can either be used inside the house? Yes they can. They won't work as well as if they were outside, but they should work.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Turn that 'J'-pole sideways and then try it on SSB.

Can either be used inside the house? Yes they can. They won't work as well as if they were outside, but they should work.
- 'Doc

Cool I will try the jpole sideway

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

Look into a 2 meter loop or halo,simple to build and there's a bunch of info on the web about building them,I built one years back and they work well for what they are and they are more omni directional than a dipole.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.