• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter dipole for ssb

What? maybe 468/freq= 1/2wl

KWARC Dipole Calculator

Link to a dipole calculator, just put in the frequency and the calculator does the math(y)

468/Freq= 1/2 wavelength works for HF but there is a little correction factor to deal with when working with VHF and UHF. That formula gives the answer in FEET.

The formula W4JLE gave as 5906/Freq works for VHF and the answer is in INCHES.

vertical, NO
Ten + years later, but......

Gonna disagree with that opinion.
I have made contacts out to 60 miles plus on two meter SSB using a diamond vertical in the past, even with the loss incurred with cross polarization.
I am aware of another ham making 2 meter SSB contacts using a mobile antenna @ 10 watts in excess of 150 miles so yes it can be done.
Did it work as well as my stacked yagis?
No.
But to flatly say it can't be done is not correct.

Jeff

Reactions: Justme
Did.
I had 2 14 element yagis on top of the two story house when we lived down in the valley.
I used to have a lot of fun with that setup.
The only beam I have now is a little cushcraft 449-6 for UHF.
I have not been on 2 meter SSB since i came up here by the park.
In the 90's I played a lot on vhf/uhf but got away from it and stared playing on HF.
I had a cgt144 that I ran on the back of my buick that rocked.

Jeff

I had a cg 144 that I ran on the back of my Buick that rocked.
I love that antenna. I am getting mobile ready for Winter. The screwdriver antenna OFF and 2m Simplex antenna goes on with fold-over mount for parking in Garage. Also have 5/8th's wave for 6m ..both will lay-over quick EZ.

Model CG-144
  • Gain: 5.2 dB - absolutely the highest gain mobile antenna available.
  • Phased 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave design.
  • With 3/8" x 24 thread base for ball mounts (mount and cable not included).
  • Length: 7'1".
  • Weight: 1.84 lb.
  • The Ultimate in 144 MHz Collinear Mobile Performance

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I love that antenna. I am getting mobile ready for Winter. The screwdriver antenna OFF and 2m Simplex antenna goes on with fold-over mount for parking in Garage. Also have 5/8th's wave for 6m ..both will lay-over quick EZ.

Model CG-144
  • Gain: 5.2 dB - absolutely the highest gain mobile antenna available.
  • Phased 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave design.
  • With 3/8" x 24 thread base for ball mounts (mount and cable not included).
  • Length: 7'1".
  • Weight: 1.84 lb.
  • The Ultimate in 144 MHz Collinear Mobile Performance
Hands down the best 2 meter antenna I have ever ran, and it will load up on ten too.

Jeff

Reactions: BJ radionut
My only suggestion for a 2m dipole would be to polarize it vertically. Most 2m signals (around here anyway) are vertically polarized (repeaters, verticals, whips, etc.).

I had a big 2M Yagi at one time - installed it horizontal, couldn't hear a freakin' thing. Switched to vertical and bingo - things were booming in from anywhere and everywhere !

Good luck ! :cool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.