• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970 N2

This has very little to do with the radio and everything to do with mother nature.
YUP YOU ARE ENTIRELY CORRECT .. I LOOKED AT A NATIONAL RADAR IMAGE ON THE DAY I TALKED TO ATLANTIC CITY AND MONTREAL AND GUESS WHAT ??? THERE WAS A TROUGH OF CLOUD COVER RUNNING FROM THE SOUTHWEST TO THE NORTHEAST.. MAYBE IT HELPED MAYBE NOT BUT I RARELY MAKE MAYBE CONTACTS IN THE NORTHEAST U.S. .. OR PERHAPS DIVINE INTERVENTION ??? XXX

I have a 2970N2 transceiver and it works well. I also have a few larger base variants of the 2950DX chassis. Although the mobile version 2950DX-2970DX doesn't have the classic CB radio look per say, it still has very nice AM modulation that you would expect from RCI/ Ranger products. The SSB is very usable.

The only down side I have encountered with the newer version 2970DX was that the irf520 mosfets in the amp section are sensitive to high VSWR. Two of the (8) popped when I had a coax connector fail open. That happened while running a 10 watt carrier on AM. After I replaced the bad coax jumper and all (8) mosfets it was back to working fine. They are under $2 and from the same production run if you get them from RF Parts. They were selling the entire amp board for like $70 but I see they are not listing now. I did think about swapping in the old style 2 x 2sc2290 amp board from an old 2970 in but the new mosfets I put seem to run just fine.

If you like to run AM mode you will not be disappointed. Stable SSB is just a benefit of the 2950DX chassis for me.

https://www.rfparts.com/irf520.html

View attachment 18722

got a 2950 and a 2970 n2 .. love em both and I am going for a 2970 n4 ... gotta get a bigger power supply ... the 2970 n2 makes my 50 amp astron grunt I think a n4 will turn it inside out .. the trick to longevity with any of the 29xx boxes is don't run them wide open and they will last a lot longer .. xxx

Im no electrician, but doesn't heat rise? They should have put the amp on the top on those radios.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I don't mind the replies unless they are like this one. I don't need smartass answers. Just the facts will do.....
yup the same ole sh!t !!! get a hf rig. blah blah blah.. woof woof woof .. and so on and so on ..so many friggen radios so little time ...xxx

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.