• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

50 Years of Power from a Battery? Sounds good to me !

BC Coyote

Oct 17, 2023
Just found this article .... https://watchers.news/2024/01/19/ch...t-effective-nuclear-battery-for-civilian-use/

I could see this being a game changer for portable and handheld radio applications. Or even for a base station if they upscale the technology to create a 14 volt battery with higher amperage. Supposedly, these are perfectly safe to use and release no radiation.
50 years life from a battery is a long long time !
I predict we'll be seeing these on Alibaba within a year from now..........though I suspect they won't be cheap !

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

100 microwatts per cell, you're going to need a lot of them to power your base station - 10,000 of them for every watt of power you need. Useful for things like spacecraft and satellites, but that's about it.

Nice story though, does the rounds of the mass non-technical media press every few years for people that failed math:

I realize it's not practical for radio use at it's current 3 volt 100mA size. The thing is though, once these technologies get developed on a small scale, it is only a matter of time until they upscale them to larger, more practical sizes........
I'm sure the EV makers are watching (and funding) this technology closely !
Oh, by the way, I passed math with flying colors.

Reactions: unit_399
Not going to blow up like that, 3 volts at 0.033 milliamps is not even going to be enough to light an LED. Power from the aftermath of Taco Bell will be thousands of times higher than these "batteries".

you likely already have a radioactive device in your home right now
You do ! It's called a smoke detector. Every one of them contains a tiny amount of nuclear material. There are other things too, including some common medical devices. And let's not forget that Radium was used to make the dial dots glow on the old fashioned wind-up watches.

If the average person could purchase and use duterium tanks you could affordably split hydrogen from water at home and fuel your car or anything else cheaply with very low tech low power equipment. Very diffacult and expensive to get liscensed to purchase and use duterium. It would free the masses from hydrocarbon infrastructure. Not make believe but real. Bob Lazar has a video on it and he shows the setup he uses at home to fuel his hydrogen converted Corvette. Very simple and cost effective setup once you have Duterium.

You also have to look closely at modern Nuclear Reactor designs. Then you the Thorium debate.

Reactions: walterjn
Easy for Bob since he's a Nuclear Physicist.
But you're correct about there being alternative fuel sources, but most have been quashed by big oil. We all realize that's there's probably not much in our lives that doesn't rely on petroleum, but there are alternatives...not electric necessarily, but other sources that have been put on hold for I think nefarious reasons.

I personally like the idea of these newer nuclear power plants and getting away from coal and diesel power plants. Cleaner and could be safer if corners aren't cut in construction. There are enough remote areas to put these things things in that wouldn't cause any impact on our lives, or the environment. Fracking seems a lot more dangerous to me.

I personally like the idea of these newer nuclear power plants. There are enough remote areas to put these things things in that wouldn't cause any impact on our lives, or the environment.
Incoming rant.

I'm guessing you live in a populated area. Speaking as a rural area representative, we don't want your nuclear power plant in our yard. That's a common opinion 'round here. What about the impact on our lives and environment? If you want nuclear power, put it on your own land. Not risking my genetic code sequence so you can plug in. A real solution will benefit everyone, while impeding no one. #rurallivesmatter

End rant, for now...

Incoming rant.

I'm guessing you live in a populated area. Speaking as a rural area representative, we don't want your nuclear power plant in our yard. That's a common opinion 'round here. What about the impact on our lives and environment? If you want nuclear power, put it on your own land. Not risking my genetic code sequence so you can plug in. A real solution will benefit everyone, while impeding no one. #rurallivesmatter

End rant, for now...
Agreed, but anywhere there is a military installation, you already have it. It's not used for power applications, but it's there. It's also being transported by rail and truck in all areas, some is revealed, probably most not.
But in an area like the test site at Mercury,NV, there's already a lot of it there, can be housed there and just run transmission lines to wherever.
The newer I guess they're called mini reactors have a 10 year life instead of 1 on the rods.
I'm not saying it's the total best, but until the alien technology is released, the closest to it. Too much money being made on gas and oil fuel systems now.
I don't want to get into the fracking debate, but that's happening in rural areas almost exclusively. So is the solar and wind technology taking up acres and acres of once beautiful landscape, and seascape lately.
But anyway, we all have our opinions, and that's what's nice about an open forum, we can all agree to disagree or agree...for now

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.