• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A question about the Citizens Band

Couple of sort of interesting things in this thread.
First, the original 23, then later 40 CB channels were for business use, this wasn't a 'hobby' band to start with. Of course, it gradually turned into one. The FCC sort of had a hand in that, they didn't enforce the rules. So, by implication, 'they' approved of that change in use, for whatever reason (probably because they were instructed to). At this point, turning CB 'back' into a business band would be sooo much fun. (But I can think of one or two means of doing that which would sort of 'fit in' with the present political trend in this country. Sorry to bring that 'P' word into this, I promise to wash my typing fingers with lye soap.)
The FCC is required to publish proposed rule making or rule changes. I sort of doubt if you will find this proposal in that list. It might show up at any time, but it's not there now. Think about the characteristics of the band, a business would be very limited in using it for reliable communications. It just isn't that reliable except for short distances. And while it doesn't require huge sized thingys to use this frequency range, those thingys are certainly larger than what's typical for higher frequency bands, directional antennas for instance. From that standpoint, FRS and GMRS ought'a keep watch on their backdoors, it would seem to me.
Blame this nasty rumor on hams! Why not, they do that sort of thing all the time, don't they? That's probably true some of the time, I honestly don't know. I do have to say that I heard this rumor -here-, not on a ham band. So, it's not a 'ham' rumor for me, now is it? And before anybody gets too bent out of shape, I don't attribute it to CB'ers either. It's just another one of those "what if" thingys, and worth just about that much after thinking about it a minute or two. (And tell me you've never ever thought about something like this before.)
'Digital' modes and voice mode certainly can be mixed. It does require a bit of 'accommodation' on 'both' parts, but it can be, and is, done quite a bit. I'm certainly not thrilled at the prospect though.
Oh well...
- 'Doc

He said that the FCC was considering a proposal to take the 11 meter band from the CBer's and using it as a business band with digital mode , from somewhere in the 26 Mhz range to 27.800 mhz . He's saying that they're suppose to make a decision one way another in October of 2009 .

Its a bunch of hot air.

There must be demand for spectrum to get the FCC to reallocate.
In the VHF-LO 30-50MHz, there are tons of business frequencies available right now.
These were heavily used in the 60's & 70's when the technology of the time worked best there. Today, only highway patrol and rural users are there. Its relatively vacant.
The sunspot peaks have chased alot of users off of VHF-LO.

You couldnt use 11 meters for anything else anyways. 11 meters is in heavy use in south & central america. Everytime the skip reaches up to the USA, it would get trashed. Some think the FCC controls the whole world, but they dont.

Its a bunch of hot air.

There must be demand for spectrum to get the FCC to reallocate.
In the VHF-LO 30-50MHz, there are tons of business frequencies available right now.
These were heavily used in the 60's & 70's when the technology of the time worked best there. Today, only highway patrol and rural users are there. Its relatively vacant.
The sunspot peaks have chased alot of users off of VHF-LO.

You couldnt use 11 meters for anything else anyways. 11 meters is in heavy use in south & central america. Everytime the skip reaches up to the USA, it would get trashed. Some think the FCC controls the whole world, but they dont.
There is a good deal of demand for spectrum just about everywhere, but probably the weakest area of demand is the upper end of HF. The combination of highly unpredictable skywave propagation (which means you have to plan for interference, but can't actually rely on skip for communication) and relatively limited bandwidth makes this corner of the spectrum something of a ghetto. The main advantage of using upper-end HF or lower-end VHF, as opposed to higher VHF or UHF frequencies, is that the equipment is slightly cheaper to manufacture. And even that gap has pretty much closed completely in the past ten years.

I figured this might have just been the case of someone "Blowing Smoke" ... I know that the 11 meter band is still being widely used . This was just the case of a former CBer forgetting where he came from . He was originally a CBer , and now he spends his time on the Ham Bands talking about "what a bunch of low lifes" the people on 11 meters are . So he started telling everyone that the FCC was suppose to be doing away with 11 meters by October this year . None of us could find anything online or on the FCC's web-site about this . So I decided to ask here , I figured if anyone would know about this type of thing it'd be you guys ... Thanks so much for all of your input .

There is a recent article on this in the currant issue of either CQ or Popular communications ..

Long story short is..

That the international airways governing body ( whatever their name is .. lol ) has approved a new standard for low power digital mode tv stations in the currant 11 meter band.
Supposedly they are already using and experimenting with this in europe (including 3D Programs).

For the record 11 meter was and still is a business band (without currant licensing needed) and so it can therefore be re-assigned for other business band usage with little fan fare.

Is it worth while to get rid of 11 meter band where so many CBers currently are using these frequency's ..
I would say not...for to do so would mean that CBers would have to be outright banned from these frequency's and even if such law was passed,no one would pay attention to such new laws.

Yes everyone is scrabbling to find ways of getting more frequency's

However to do so at the expense of not hundreds but countless thousands of users is simply not going to happen regardless of what new law(s) may be passed.

I doubt ( and agree with CBers) any CBer would like such a happening..Let alone abide by any such new law(s)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.